Laggan Wolftrax

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
edited August 2009 in Routes
Who's done this run?

Planning a trip down to there in a couple of weeks time, weather permitting!!

Want to know of the experiences or advice on the trail if anyone has any opinions.
MBUK a couple of months ago - the scottish edition, says there as some sections which are graded "double black..."

Also I'll be running it on a HT.....
Cheers!
It's been a while...

Comments

• Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Graydawg wrote:
    Who's done this run?

Planning a trip down to there in a couple of weeks time, weather permitting!!

Want to know of the experiences or advice on the trail if anyone has any opinions.
    MBUK a couple of months ago - the scottish edition, says there as some sections which are graded "double black..."

Also I'll be running it on a HT.....
    Cheers!

Yup, one of my fav tracks! I've not done the black route mind you, but the red is excellent with some black obstacles on it ('Airs Rock' - bit scary first time round!).

I'm planning on heading up there in September sometime, having had trips up there the past couple of years.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Did red routes and a few black bit last week - I stuck to XC and didn't do the downhilling runs which seem popular. The (red) world champ XC course descent was great. Something for everyone I think but I'd try red first before attempting the black stuff, as they are pretty challenging. There is a skills loop area to let you see what blue, red and black involve - to the left of the gondola as you drive in.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    passout wrote:
    Did red routes and a few black bit last week - I stuck to XC and didn't do the downhilling runs which seem popular. The (red) world champ XC course descent was great. Something for everyone I think but I'd try red first before attempting the black stuff, as they are pretty challenging. There is a skills loop area to let you see what blue, red and black involve - to the left of the gondola as you drive in.

Gondola? At Laggan? Are you getting confused with Fort William (World Champ XC course)?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, I am.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    Done the Red stuff a couple of times, both sections are excellent, probably the best I have ridden (including Golspie). The Blue bit at the bottom is good fun too.

The fire road bit of the climb is a bit boring but worth the effort. The latter bit of the climb on the newer red section is shared with the black route so has a couple of slightly tricky technical bits.

I have only ever done it on a hardtail and it was no problem.

The black descent I have been told is more like full suss territory.
    Shot by both sides...
  • busta gonad
    busta gonad Posts: 162
    The black descent I have been told is more like full suss territory.[/quote]

The black is doable on a hardtail, i flashed all of it first go, with a stall on the stilletto staircase, then rode it clean. But have to say i was completly at the bikes limit, the natural features are great but there are manmade drops that are designed around big suspension travel, not the sort you fly off but roll, as the trail is really tight and rocky, i was teetering on the brink. Two ton drop went by in a blur, i couldn't even say where it was i was so damn focused.

When i ride it again it will certainly be on a stead with at least 140mm of travel.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    The black is doable on a hardtail, i flashed all of it first go, with a stall on the stilletto staircase, then rode it clean. But have to say i was completly at the bikes limit, the natural features are great but there are manmade drops that are designed around big suspension travel, not the sort you fly off but roll, as the trail is really tight and rocky, i was teetering on the brink. Two ton drop went by in a blur, i couldn't even say where it was i was so damn focused.

When i ride it again it will certainly be on a stead with at least 140mm of travel.

Agreed that it is doable on a HT and that Stilletto is a tricky bit - I failed to clean it and didnt go back for a second try!

Red route is very enjoyable - fast and nothing at all tricky. Ayers rock is not obligatory part of the red.

Decent caf as well or at least used to be.
  • lynseyf
    lynseyf Posts: 47
    I did Laggan in May and loved it. I only did the red but my friends did the black and said it was very black, no chicken runs either! If you like fast flowing singletrack definitely do the orange graded freeride section. We nearly didn't bother but I am so glad we did as it is so much fun, huge berms and some nice tabletops, I can see why people could lap it all day when they have uplift. I did it all on a HT and was quite happy but my friends that did the black said they were glad to have all of their suspension for it but they do like to go pretty fast (They have about 6" FS bike). I've done red and black at Glentress, XC at Innerleithen and red at Ae. I love GT red, Inners and Laggan, thought Ae was a bit boring if thats any help.