Your home town

2»

Comments

• Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    maander wrote:
    Where would one's home town/city considered to be? Their place of birth, where they were brought up, or where they've been living for the past few years? (All 3 can be different, as in my case).

I'm living in Cheltenham at the moment but seening as I've counted 4 people speaking of Cheltenham so far I went and did the town I grew up in, Sandhurst.

Wasn't aware there were so many people here from Cheltenham! supposedly 9% of the population are cyclists......despite this the OyBike scheme still failed, shame that, I found it quite useful not having to risk locking my bike up outside uni everyday!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Hucknall or should I say Ucknll.

As far as I can see it has been totally unaffected by the much publicised credit crunch looking at the amount of salad dodgers and smokers I see in the town.
    Busiest place in the town is always Greggs the pie shop.

Yes, I live there and it isn't such a bad place .....

Mucky Uckna lost it's branch of Woolies about 25years ago and couldn't even sustain a poundstretchers. It's high street has a proliforation of closed business premesis, charity shops, building societies and pubs.

I'm 'ucknall born and bred but the sorry state of it is depressing.

apart from the people.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I'm originally from Kings Norton (SW Birmingham) which claims:

Rev W Awdry (Thomas the Tank Engine)

To be the last resting place of Boudica

Plus a couple I didn't know - Alan Napier (Alfred in Batman) & the drummer from Napalm Death...

Most of you (at some point) will have looked through Triplex glass (car windscreens)
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Born in Kingston on Thames, raised in Slough.

Herschel lived in Slough for a while, that's it I think.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Morecambe...

Hmm...

Um, Thora Hird was born here.
    John Eric Bartholomew was born here. You may know him better as Eric Morecambe.
    Wayne Hemmingway (Red or Dead) was born here.

The Entertainer (a 1960 film starring Laurence Olivier) was filmed here.

Um... *shrug*
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Newport (Mon.): Has a Transporter Bridge, like Middlesborough, but without the witty banter.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    People buried in the Cemetery at the bottom of my Road;

Marigold Frances Churchill, the daughter of Sir Winston Churchill and Lady Clementine who died from a fever in 1921 at age three. Also interred are two children of King George III of the United Kingdom, who desired to be buried at Kensal Green instead of Windsor Castle: Princess Sophia and her brother, Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex.
    Monuments and chapel at Kensal Green Cemetery

Other burials include:

* Henry Ainley (1879–1945), actor
    * Thomas Allom (1804–1872), artist and architect
    * Charles Babbage (1791–1871), mathematician, computer scientist
    * Michael William Balfe (1808–1870), composer
    * James Barry (1795–1865), surgeon
    * George Birkbeck (1776–1841), doctor, academic and adult education pioneer
    * Julius Benedict (1804–1885), composer
    * Charles Blondin (1824–1897), acrobat, tightrope-walker
    * Sir George Ferguson Bowen (1821–1899), colonial administrator and 9th Governor of Hong Kong
    * Lady Diamantina Bowen (c. 1832/1833–1893), grand dame
    * John Braham (1774–1856), singer
    * George Bridgetower (1782–1860), West Indian-Polish violin virtuoso and friend of Beethoven
    * Louis de la Bourdonnais (1795–1840), chess master
    * Robert Brown (botanist) (1773–1858), botanist, discoverer of Brownian motion
    * Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806–1859), engineer
    * Marc Isambard Brunel (1769–1849), engineer
    * Sir Augustus Wall Callcott (1779–1844), painter
    * Lady Maria Callcott (1785–1842), travel writer
    * John Edward Carew (1785–1868), sculptor
    * Sir Ernest Cassel (1852–1921), merchant banker
    * Wilkie Collins (1824–1889), author
    * Andrew Ducrow (1793–1842), circus performer and horse-rider
    * Hugh Falconer (1808–1865), naturalist
    * Edward Francis Fitzwilliam (1824–1857), composer
    * Fanny Fitzwilliam (1801–1854), actress, singer and theatre manager
    * Marcus Garvey (1887–1940), black nationalist (subsequently exhumed and buried in Jamaica)
    * Bill George (1802–1881), Victorian dog dealer, London celebrity
    * Thomas Hood (1799–1845), poet, humorist and journalist
    * Philip Hardwick (1792–1870), architect
    * Philip Charles Hardwick (1822–1892), architect
    * Catherine Hayes (1818–1861), opera singer
    * James Henry Leigh Hunt (1784–1859), Romantic critic, essayist and poet
    * Fanny Kemble (1809–1893), famous British actress and author
    * Marian Kukiel, (1885–1973) Polish General and MOD in exile during WW II
    * William Garrett Lewis (b. before 1834; d. 1885) pastor of Westbourne Grove Church
    * John Graham Lough (1789–1876) , sculptor
    * Alexander McDonnell (1798–1835), chess master
    * Richard Graves MacDonnell (1814–1881), colonial administrator and 6th Governor of Hong Kong
    * Kitty Melrose (1883–1912), actress
    * Freddie Mercury (1946–1991), singer (cremated here; ashes scattered on the shores of Lake Geneva, near Montreux, Switzerland)
    * Ras Andargachew Messai (1902–1981), Ethiopian ruler
    * John Lothrop Motley (1814–1877), American historian
    * Cuthbert Ottaway (1850–1878) first captain of the England football team
    * Robert Owen (memorial) (1771–1858), industrialist and major social reformer
    * John Thomas Perceval (1803–1876), army officer, writer and campaigner
    * Harold Pinter (1930–2008), playwright, actor, director, screenwriter, poet and political activist
    * John Wigham Richardson (1837–1908), shipbuilder
    * John Shaw Jr (1803–1870), architect and brother in law of Philip Hardwick listed above
    * Sir William Siemens (1823–1883), industrialist
    * Robert William Sievier (1794–1865), sculptor (also member of Cemetery board)
    * William Henry Smith (1792–1865), businessman
    * William Makepeace Thackeray (1811–1863), writer
    * Lydia Thompson (1838–1908), dancer and actress
    * Therese Tietjens (1831–1877), famous opera singer
    * Anthony Trollope (1815–1882), novelist
    * J. Stuart Russell (1816–1895), theologian and author
    * William Vincent Wallace (1812–1865), composer
    * Thomas Wakley (1795–1862), surgeon, campaigner and founder of The Lancet
    * John William Waterhouse (1849–1917), artist
    * E A Worthington (1791–1880), artist and author

The one who left the Sugababes, Phil Fearon and Louis Theroux live here now, not quite as impressive as the dead ones :lol:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,650
    Born in Sheffield

- Home of the world's oldest association football team, formed in 1857.

- Some of the best British bands of the last 20 years have originated in Sheffield (Pulp, Arctic Monkeys, Thompson Twins, Def Leppard)

- Erm, Seb Coe, Prince Naseem Hamed, Gordon Banks, Michael Palin, and Sean Bean have stars outside the Town Hall in a walk of fame style thing

- The Full Monty was set here....

Live in Chester
    -The Walls and The Rows is what everyone mentions when hearing Chester. The Rows are a kind of two tier shopping experience which makes all the shop's cramped and their stock rooms TINY!

- Famous people are Daniel Craig, Michael Owen, and Jimmy Saville has a degree from the Uni

- Lots of medieval laws still exist like a "Cestrian" can shoot a Welshman with a longbow, so long as it's after dark, he was born within the city walls, and he shoots him FROM the walls.

- Half the city's football ground is in England, half is in Wales. Both halves may not exist for much longer though
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Farnborough, hants, where I was born and bred counts amongst it's alumni

Napoleon III & Eugene II are buried in an Abbey they built here (not that many locals know about it)
    Samuel Cody (the aviator) crashed his plane there (and died)
    Mega City 4 (band - scraping the bottom of the barrel)
    erm...
    :?
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Barnsley has a very big Cricket & Sporting connection:
    Mick McCarthy

And an awful lot of people in my home town (Wolverhampton) have a lot to thank him for over the last year or so!

Inevitable list of Wolves facts aside, the place was also the location for the UK's first automatic traffic lights back in 1928. Its other road transport claims to fame include the manufacture of a series of land speed record holding Sunbeam cars back in the 1920s, and being at one time home of the largest Goodyear plant outside of the USA (and apparently responsible for the manufacture of many the company's Formula 1 tyres in the not so distant past). Other transport facts - it was the northernmost point of IK Brunel's ill-fated 7ft broad-gauge railway network, and the now-defunct Great Western station was also the last major main-line station that IKB had a hand in the construction of.
    Cycling facts that quite a few of you will be aware of; the town is the birthplace of Hugh Porter, Percy Stallard (and also his son Mike, one-time national 'cross champion) and former world junior track champion Andy Tennant. Wolverhampton also marked the finsihing point of Stallard senior's first (and indeed England's first) massed-start road race on public highways.
    And one completely pointless fact to round this post off - apparently for a while in the 1960s and 1970s we had the biggest branch of Woolworths in Europe!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    blu3cat wrote:
    Farnborough, hants, where I was born and bred counts amongst it's alumni

Napoleon III & Eugene II are buried in an Abbey they built here (not that many locals know about it)
    Samuel Cody (the aviator) crashed his plane there (and died)
    Mega City 4 (band - scraping the bottom of the barrel)
    erm...
    :?

Many cyclists have a lot to thank Farnborough for, though, as in the late 50s/early 60s its Royal Aircraft Establishment carried out much of the pioneering work on the manufacture and use of carbon fibre!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Live in Chester
    -The Walls and The Rows is what everyone mentions when hearing Chester. The Rows are a kind of two tier shopping experience which makes all the shop's cramped and their stock rooms TINY!

- Famous people are Daniel Craig, Michael Owen, and Jimmy Saville has a degree from the Uni

- Lots of medieval laws still exist like a "Cestrian" can shoot a Welshman with a longbow, so long as it's after dark, he was born within the city walls, and he shoots him FROM the walls.

- Half the city's football ground is in England, half is in Wales. Both halves may not exist for much longer though

I’m from Chester originally.

Vin Denson (Tour de France cyclist) was in Chester Road Club.

Chester has the oldest racecourse in the country.

The ‘famous’ people list is a bit embarrassing as it includes Russ Abbott and Keith Harris (and presumably Orville).

Ronald Pickup was born in Chester and Tom James, Olympic Gold medallist rower is from Chester too. Gary Speed is from the Chester area and Barry Horne is apparently now a teacher at the (private) Kings School in Chester (and co-incidentally their director of football – they need all they help they can get, they were crap when I was at a local comp)