My new Lapierre Spicy 516

Tom Barton
Tom Barton Posts: 516
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Been after one of these for ages, ever since I rode the 916 at the afan demo day. I'm 6'3" and have always found most bikes a tad short, but i didn't ncessarily want to up size as I like having a smaller manoverable frame.

Either way suits me and my riding style down to a tee, even prefered it over SC nomads and my enduro.

DSCF1518.jpg
DSCF1519.jpg
DSCF1522.jpg
DSCF1523.jpg
DSCF1524.jpg
DSCF1526.jpg
DSCF1525.jpg

Currently all stock with the notable exception of the Cobra i900 seatpost, which is brilliant for suddenly going stupid and then returning to normal riding with the flick of a lever. Little bit of mud deflection in matching white (lovely summer isn't it?) and the mountain king tyres are better in tubeless than tubed (tried them before - it that could just be superior suspension) but felt it needed a little extra bite for the harder corners so I've decided to try the non-budget rubber queen - its lighter than an equivalant 2.5 maxxis job - its proper 2.4 too, it dwarfs the 2.4 MK and so far I'm very pleased with the RQ..

The bike is amazing, weights in at 30.4lbs with the seatpost and heavier tyre but it still feels light and I've got plenty of scope for lighter parts in the future but it really climbs and decends soooo well...

Dead cuffed with it!

Comments

• owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    Now that is one sexy looking bike. You'll get some looks on that! Congratulations and enjoy.
  • Saw these in tredz not long ago.... bloody gorgeous machines!!

Gotta have deep pockets though!!
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    VERY nice sir :wink::D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    all of those lapierres are absolutely gorgeous, its good to hear they ride as well as they look too.
  • Tom Barton
    Funnily enough bigbenj this particular spicy is courtesy of Swansea tredz! And yes, it is a very expensive machine when compared to its rival big companies such as spesh and treks equivalents etc. However the quality, attention to detail and performance is nearer the boutique brands (SC, yeti etc) and its not quite as expensive as one of them built up to the same spec so I guess all things are relative! I'll see how well it copes with a few years pummelling around various south wales trails!!
  • It looks awesome!... V jealous!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Seen these at Glentress on Thursday... goooooorrrrrgeous. You lucky lucky bas.
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    i demo'd one of these and a meta, i felt as if the lapierre was missing something. lots of people said it i just didnt get enough time to work out what it is. you wont be dissapointed at all its a really well built bike
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Rau
    Rau Posts: 22
    Remember not to iron it..

And don't even think about putting that thing in the tumble dryer
    sig3.png
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    stunning looking bike, just looks quality. i love white bikes
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Tom Barton
    Thx guys - I'll make sure not to crease it :-)

Hmm - I'm a big beliver in the right bike for the right rider. I rode many bikes and this one was for me when my heart had been set on a nomad. It's long top tube ain't for everyone and if it didn't work for you then it's not the bike for you.

Although has anyone else noticed how trashed popular demo bikes get? The 916 I rode had virtually no brakes (but I still tell it rode brilliantly).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Nice bike 8)

What size fame did you get? You mentioned that you didn't want to upsize, which implies that its a medium? I've seen that these are pretty big for the given size and that people often go down a size compared to what they would normally ride.

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i rode a 916 and loved it, and the brakes did work :D infact thye whole bike was perfect, shame its so expensive or i would have bought it on the spot, am no hooked on buying a zesty tho so hopefully it will be a btter all rounder
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Really nice bike their fella, I love the Spicy's looks. I don't want to demo one yet as I can't afford it and I'm worried I won't like my Handjob anymore.

Even if I had the money for the 916, I would get the 516 as the frame looks so sweet in White, although I might try to save up for a Frame only option and then build it up slowly.

Congratulations on the purchase, go and enjoy it. 8)
  • Tom Barton
    Its amedium (46cm) - however it is long in the top tube - perfect for me, but some find it too stretched out for a all mountain bike thus why many are downsizing from what they'd normally buy.
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    i love the transfer about the cleaning and a very nice bike to
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    Love the bike. just wish I could afford one
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Ooof! Thats one mighty fine bike 8)
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • StealTheR
    StealTheR Posts: 195
    As soon as I get my 316, these come down in price. Gutted.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Thats a damn nice machine.

Love the spec, no flaw in it at all...
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    Thats a sweet ride!
  • stone-rose
    stone-rose Posts: 176
    awesome machine that. love that hand wash only sticker :lol: