Can pics be uploaded from my PC ??

Tempted by the 4 at £475
The 3 is £625 on a par with the new Trek 1.2 2010

Any opinions ??

Specs
Model
Defy 4
Sizes
XS (43cm),S (46.5cm),M (50cm),L (55.5cm),XL (58.5cm)
Frame
Giant AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid FormedTM
Fork
Cromoly, OverDrive Steerer
Shock
N / A
Handlebar
Giant Alloy Anatomic Bend, 26.0mm
Stem
Giant Alloy
Seatpost
Giant Alloy
Saddle
Giant Performance Road
Pedals
Caged w/ Clips
Shifters
Shimano 2300 24 speed
Front Derailleur
Shimano 2203
Rear Derailleur
Shimano 2300
Brakes
Tektro Giant specific Dual Pivot
Brake Levers
Shimano 2300
Cassette
SRAM PG 850 12-26
Chain
KMC Z7
Crankset
FSA Tempo, 30/42/52
Bottom Bracket
Cartridge
Rims
Giant Sport Road, Double Wall
Hubs
Formula Sealed
Spokes
Stainless Steel
Tyres
Kenda Kriterium, 700x25mm

Model
Defy 3
Sizes
XS (43cm),S (46.5cm),M (50cm),M/L (53.5cm),L ( 55.5cm),XL (58.5cm)
Frame
Giant AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid FormedTM
Fork
Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer
Shock
N / A
Handlebar
Giant Connect, 31.8mm
Stem
Giant Connect
Seatpost
Giant Connect
Saddle
Giant Performance Road
Pedals
Caged w/ Clips
Shifters
Shimano Sora 27 speed
Front Derailleur
Shimano Sora
Rear Derailleur
Shimano Sora
Brakes
Tektro Giant specific Dual Pivot
Brake Levers
Shimano Sora
Cassette
Shimano HG50 12-25
Chain
KMC HG73
Crankset
FSA Omega MegaExo, 30/39/50
Bottom Bracket
FSA Mega Exo, External
Rims
Giant Sport Road CR, Double Wall
Hubs
Formula Sealed
Spokes
Stainless Steel
Tyres
Kenda Kriterium, 700x25mm[/img]
FCN 8 Hybrid
FCN 4 Roadie

Comments

• Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    So the Trek 1.2 sounds to have a bit better spec than the defy 3 and lets face it you need to be pretty fast to ride a yellow bike imo
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Last years 4 had a carbon fork. This year it's steel.

This years 3 is £50 more - Alex rims are swapped for Giant.

So buy a 2009 if you can find one in stock.
  • pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    I agree with juankerr.

I have a Giant SCR 1, the old Defy, and the Giant rims are nothing special.

Go for a Defy 3 from 2009, but if you can wait a couple of months you could knowck £100 off the cost easy.
  • Where have you seen the 2010 range. I've looked everywhere.
  • Downwardi
    Where have you seen the 2010 range. I've looked everywhere.

The new Giant Store in Liverpool
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    I'd definitely try and get hold of a 2009 model if you can, seems to be no advantage with the new one, in fact just the opposite !!
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • Downwardi
    So I don't understand why Giant have bumped up the prices and not spec ?
    I know the Trek 1.2 has gone up £50 but at least the 2010 spec is better than 09.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I agree with Downwardi, yellow may be a too fast colour, good job its not red, waaayyy tooo Faaassst :P :P
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    seem expensive for the spec - the £625 one is still sora and the cheaper one (which is still near £500) has a steel fork!
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Downwardi wrote:
    So I don't understand why Giant have bumped up the prices and not spec ?
    I know the Trek 1.2 has gone up £50 but at least the 2010 spec is better than 09.

The specs have been getting worse and prices going up for a couple of years now.
    The price of raw materials has gone up significantly. Especially aluminium, and it's the only way thay can keep the margins on the bike.
  • brad1234uk
    brad1234uk Posts: 22
    I was lucky enough to get the last 2009 defy 3 in Hull this week for just over £500.Another shop who had 2010 Giant stock arriving that day advised me to snap up the 2009 model as it was £100 cheaper than the new one and an almost similar spec.
  • Downwardi
    brad1234uk wrote:
    I was lucky enough to get the last 2009 defy 3 in Hull this week for just over £500.Another shop who had 2010 Giant stock arriving that day advised me to snap up the 2009 model as it was £100 cheaper than the new one and an almost similar spec.

£625 I think.
    Nice and flashy as it is I'll be going for the Trek 1.2 over it due to better spec.

Gambled with the yellow and lower spec than the competitors imo.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Downwardi wrote:
    brad1234uk wrote:

£625 I think.
    Nice and flashy as it is I'll be going for the Trek 1.2 over it due to better spec.

Gambled with the yellow and lower spec than the competitors imo.

i bought the trek 1.2 in hull about 3 months ago and up graded tyres/stem bought a 08 tiagra group set from chain reaction (still needs fitting) very cheap and i now think i have a very nice bike or it will be as soon as i fit the tiagra
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I don't think that Giant are the only one doing this ... from what I see Specialized are too - looking at some of their 2010 bikes (like the Tarmacs) over the 2009 - dearer and lower spec components.... The fall of the pound is probably the key contributor.... so as always - shop around as much as you can.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Downwardi
    Anyone by chance know the release dates of the 2010 Treks ?
    Are they available ?
    Not got my Voucher yet to place an order.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Oceanblue
    Oceanblue Posts: 158
    so anyone any pics?
  • I noticed someone mention margins. When buying my trek 1.7 (£925) last week i saw on the screen what they pay for it £516 :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: and they say they dont earn much
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Welcome to the world of the sinking pound. It does not hit the the headlines in the media any more but Sterling has been in the doldrums for most of the past year. The Dollar and Euro have gained against our currency and bikes are, mostly, imported. The 2010 deals have been agreed long ago, perhaps 2011 will be better? In the meantime, MTFU or wait it out.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Norfolkboy wrote:
    When buying my trek 1.7 (£925) last week i saw on the screen what they pay for it £516 :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: and they say they dont earn much
    Bear in mind that money gets eaten up pretty quickly running a business:
    - shop overheads (rental, heating, leccy, insurance, vehicles, breakages, shoplifting).
    - staff. Holiday cover, sick pay, NI, staff benefits etc as well as salary all year, not just when sales are good. Giving advice to casual browsers/tyre-kickers, recruiting, training & managing staff and Accounts all take time and money.
    - quite a few support clubs and riders or sponsor events. My club gets 10% at the LBS and the staff assist at races & time trials.

When I was in the shop recently I overhead the owner talking about the margins on web sales. He mentioned how some guy had paid £100 for a Camelbak then brought it back moaning he could get it online for £65. The customer got most or all of the difference back because he would rather sell the thing than lose a customer but was saying he didn't make a penny on it. He wondered how the seller could do that price, perhaps it was old stock and so on. Personally I think it was poor form by the customer to complain after buying.

Also consider that, from a buyer's PoV, returning items for repair or replacement under warranty is a PITA if the seller isn't local. At least you can go in there or if things get bad call on local Trading Standards.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • :shock:
    I've a 09 Defy 03 (bought in June) and despite the fact it's a great bike, i've never been keen on the paint job.
    Until now that is.
    what a :shock:er!!
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Downwardi
    I do like the Yellow but would prefer White Bar tape.
    Saying that I ain't good enough to ride a Yellow bike
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Oceanblue
    Oceanblue Posts: 158
    Thanks for the pic - I like it... :D
  • Phixion
    Phixion Posts: 81
    White bar tape shows dirt quick. I prefer black!
  • jimbo36
    jimbo36 Posts: 11
    Hi all
    New to this site but just saw your post.

Ive just brought one of the new giant defy 4's 2010 model

From what im gathering im really quite impressed, the main difference between the 2009 and 2010 model that I can see is the metal forks and the three chain ring front sprocket as appossed to the carbon fibre forks and double sprocket of the 2009 version.

Apart from that im pleased and hope to do many miles on it

J
  • gaved
    gaved Posts: 56
    Oceanblue wrote:
    Thanks for the pic - I like it... :D

Mate, just had a llok at your link and just wanna say well done on your progress, that is well impressive! That's awesome man!! :D
    I have nipples, can you milk me....?
  • JohnPH
    JohnPH Posts: 5
    I ordered a Defy 2.5 2009 about 6 weeks ago but due to unforseen demand (cycle to work scheme here in Ireland apparently) they cannot supply this and said they now have a Defy 3 2010 ready for me to collect. Guy in the shop over the phone said it was a better spec than the 2009 2.5. Is this correct ?

Am I being shafted here ?? He did say that he could give me an alternative.

I would appreciate any info as I am only getting back into cycling after years away from the sport and am not back up to speed with equipment specs etc . Thanks
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the 2.5 is, IIRC, a better specification so I hope there are other things being offered at the same time or for a lower value?

I wouldn't take it as a direct replacement - what other options are available and what price were you getting the 2.5 at?
  • zoso7
    zoso7 Posts: 66
    JohnPH wrote:
    I ordered a Defy 2.5 2009 about 6 weeks ago but due to unforseen demand (cycle to work scheme here in Ireland apparently) they cannot supply this and said they now have a Defy 3 2010 ready for me to collect. Guy in the shop over the phone said it was a better spec than the 2009 2.5. Is this correct ?

I would appreciate any info as I am only getting back into cycling after years away from the sport and am not back up to speed with equipment specs etc . Thanks

The 2009 2.5 is far better spec, i have one and done a lot of research to support this!! The 2009 2.5 was better spec'd than the 2009 3, the 2010 3 is less spec'd than the 2009 3 at greater cost. So the above highlighted comment is a wee white lie by the guy in your shop im afraid.
  • d.n.f
    d.n.f Posts: 61
    zoso7 wrote:
    JohnPH wrote:

The 2009 2.5 is far better spec, i have one and done a lot of research to support this!! The 2009 2.5 was better spec'd than the 2009 3, the 2010 3 is less spec'd than the 2009 3 at greater cost. So the above highlighted comment is a wee white lie by the guy in your shop im afraid.

+1

I wanted a 2.5 but is now unavailable, they arn;t making a 2.5 in 2010 either. 2.5 was Tiagra the new 3 is Sora.
    If you want Tiagra on a 2010, cheapest I've seen is £750 on the Trek 1.5. Spec Allez Elite is £799 and the cheapest Defy with Tiagra is the new 2 @ £825 and that's not out till November.
    So the defy 2.5 at £675 (ish?) was a much better value bike than the new 3. If you do decide to take the new 3 (which is still a good bike no doubt) then make sure they take into account the price difference (about £50 less than the 2009 2.5)