rear cassette loose help needed !

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited July 2009 in Workshop
ive just changed the wheels on a specialized allez triple from

JALCO GX 460's
to
MAVIC AKSUIM's.

after doing it and making sure the rear wheel is tight and no missing bits the cassette wobbles , like its loose.
the original plastic guard was shattered so i just threw that away (not sure if i need that) so do i need spacers or something ?.
i just thought that it would be a like for like.the cassette is a 8 speed (24 speed bike) and the new mavic's take a 8-9-10 speed cassette.
so now the gears crank like a good un.
im a total amateur with the tools but willing to learn :)
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    You need spacers to 'fill the gap' on your freewheel, the wheels are normally supplied with them or see you local bike shop.
  • bing gordon
    Cranks wrote:
    You need spacers to 'fill the gap' on your freewheel, the wheels are normally supplied with them or see you local bike shop.

ive just had a good look round on the net and i cant see anywere selling spacers.ive only a halfords nr me for parts and there dear as hell !.if you see any please send me the link .
    thankyou,.
  • bing gordon
    well just as a follow up , i have now relised that i need a " mavic spacer" due the the hub been slightly longer on a mavic wheel so the shimano cassette is short.

can someone please tell me which type of spacer ( thickness wise ) i will need for a shimano 8 speed cassette on a mavic aksuim wheel ?.

when i put the rear casstte on theres about a 1-2mm gap between the last ring and the the end of the hub so no matter how much tightening i do the locking nut will never screw down tight hence the need for spacer.
    would this do the job to bring the cassette forward ?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/froogle/ ... 0-6776.htm
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    That one is for Shimano 10sp cassettes. You need the Mavic Shimano specific one that should have come with the wheels. You would use the same one for all Shimano cassettes from 8 to 10sp. For 10sp you also use the 1mm one that should come with the cassette.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Like John says, you need the Mavic spacer.

Your Aksium has a Mavic M10 hub - this is not a Shimano hub : it's a Shimano-splined Mavic freehub.
    Mavic make a Shimano-splined-but-Campag-spaced cassette which you can fit to it, which is wider than a Shimano cassette.

So to fit a Shimano cassette to it you also need a Mavic spacer
    If you bought the wheels new, they should have come with this spacer - it's a big silver washer, about 3mm thick, which you pop onto the hub before you slide the cassette on.

Was there a yellow leaflet with the wheels ? This tries to explain it, but since it uses diagrams rather than attempt to explain it in 15 different languages, I didn't find it at all clear...

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/secure ... ilyID=2728
  • bing gordon
    i picked these up 2nd hand from a friend of a friend at work and there was no mavic washer with them.
    i have asked him to ask the seller but it seems he knows nothing of it (probaly has it or just cant be arsed digging it out).
    theres that many different shapes and size spacer's on the market im unsure which it is i need.
    can anyone drop ma link as to which mavic spacer i need to make up the gap left by my shimano 8 speed cassette on a mavic M10 hub ?.
    thanks again for the explanation's and advise.

follow up :- is this what i need ?.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25399
  • bing gordon
    ok thanks for the help , ordered elsewere and hopefully put an end to the wobbling.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    can anyone drop ma link as to which mavic spacer i need to make up the gap left by my shimano 8 speed cassette on a mavic M10 hub ?.

I did !
    See my post above yours...

Now that's an interesting one
    - it looks like the correct Mavic spacer : it looks about the correct thickness and it has the three notches
    - but CRC's description says it's the spacer you need to fit a 10sp cassette onto a 8/9/10sp hub, which is a different thing altogether...

I did send an email to CRC asking about this, asking if it was the Mavic M10 spacer or a 10sp spacer, was the picture correct or was the description correct
    - they replied that it was the spacer you need to fit a 10sp cassette onto a 8/9/10sp hub

I'm not convinced...