Comments

• DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Good news !
    Shazam !!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Not so good news....
    Asda estimated that it will have sold 20,000 of its ultra-cheap £50 bikes that customers have to assemble themselves this week alone.

Thats 20,000 people who will not know the joy of cycling.
  • duron1
    duron1 Posts: 2,475
    Seen many people looking at them when i poped in to my local ASDA after work earlier. Really shocking, course not built up correctly too.
    Commuter: Saracen Vex '03 (Full XT drivetrain, Rockshox Tora 302 80mm, Conti Touring Plus..etc)

MTB Hardtail: Orbea Satellite - Team Colours '08 (Full XTR drivetrain, Reba Teams, XC717s - Hope Pro II, Fire XC Pro 2.1...etc).
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I was hopping the sales of premium bikes (Specialized, Giant, Wilier, Bianchi etc), especially road bikes would not increase encouraging some of the manufacturers/shops to drop prices back to 2008 prices.... though from a business financial point its not logical....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    My dad was looking at one of those cheap Asda bike until myself and the commander shouted at him not to.Certinally an interesting introduction to the new chap.

I think I even said something along the line of Halfrauds being a better buy that one of those heaps of rubbish.

Thankfully he decided to stick with my old Pink Land Rover bike...he isn't afraid to show his femine side even if his work mates do laugh at him. :lol:

It is nice to see bike sales go up, but lets consider the facts if 20,000 people are buying cheap bikes from ASDA in six months time that will be at least 10,000 people who won't go near a bike again because of the appaling experiance they have had. That's 10,000 people put off the joy of cycling for life because they couldn't be bothered to invest properly, but then by that token perhaps if they can't be bothered to invest properly that's 10,000 people who shouldn't be on a bike anyway so no great loss.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Cambs21
    Cambs21 Posts: 13
    If you look at the customer reviews on the Asda website,one guy is grumbling because the max speed he reckons you would get out of it is 40 mph,cycling quite hard!!
    Does this mean the 800 quid i spent on a specialized allez elite was wasted,and i could have gone twice as fast for 70 quid? :wink:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    this is the funny one
    Bought this and the ladies bike blind, without seeing and I am really pleased with both of them. The paint work is perfect, the welds are very good and the overall build quality is far better than some other bikes on offer at a higher price. Gears are smooth and only needed minor tweaking to be set up peerfectly. A friend of mine who is a keen cyclist and has his main bike which cost him £3000!! was so impressed he is going to buy a couple too as spare bikes for everyday use. Delivery was 3 days from placing order. Highly recommended and great value for money....well done ASDA.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    spasypaddy wrote:
    this is the funny one
    Bought this and the ladies bike blind, without seeing and I am really pleased with both of them. The paint work is perfect, the welds are very good and the overall build quality is far better than some other bikes on offer at a higher price. Gears are smooth and only needed minor tweaking to be set up peerfectly. A friend of mine who is a keen cyclist and has his main bike which cost him £3000!! was so impressed he is going to buy a couple too as spare bikes for everyday use. Delivery was 3 days from placing order. Highly recommended and great value for money....well done ASDA.

His friend obviously has more money than sense!

Methinks someone from ASDA staff has been told to write some reviews
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Anyone seen or tested one?

Are we just assuming they're rubbish?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    The 20% figure is for all UK bike sales. It says this is largely due to the Cycle to work scheme and also cheapy superstore bikes such as Asda. The actual increase in bike sales for Asda is probably closer to %100.
    Shazam !!