Netbooks and Laptops......

Mr Wu
Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
edited July 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Evening all,

Sorry this is a bit non bike related, but i for one cannot be arsed trying to work out geek speak on PC forums.

Im after a laptop/notebook that is small, light, and usable, by that i mean something that i can use with my iPhone (downloading trail data etc)

Will be sticking a few GB of cds/photos on it too

internet etc the usual emails, forums etc.

Been looking at the Dell M10V and the EEE one from ebuyer.

Anyone got one that they can recommend?

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Budget?

I'm certainly not the target market for a netbook but I'll try to help if I can. When you say a few GB of CDs how many are we talking? The better netbooks (IMO) come with solid state drives that tend to smaller in capacity.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Or go and look at something like a 14" Toshiba Satellite Pro around 2GB memory and C2D chip will give you plenty of room for growth
  • blister pus
    And I'd hang about till Windows 7 kicks in and comes preloaded on new laptops.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Budget is £300 max.

Been looking at the Dell M10v and the EEE thing that everyone is raving about.
  • blister pus
    eee pc is a gadget / toy and is cool but you have to try before you buy to see if you're going to a) like using it b) figure out if you will like using it on a long term basis, it might well do you.
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    I have this: http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/produc ... -AOA150-BW

Dont use it for much, occasionaly the internet but i have it plugged in the back of my decks 99% of the time, i have some big programs saved on there and thousands or songs and its still running quick and hasnt been any trouble since ive had it, about 10months. Certainly something to look out for..
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I have an EEE and run Oracle (RDBMS) 11g client and server on it. It's pretty good.
    It's light and pretty durable.

It is not a toy/gadget. It's a fully functioning PC. It's just small.

My only complaints are that the mouse buttons are very stiff and that the screen resolution doesn't seem to change regardless of the settings so you don't get much on the screen. The battery life is pretty pants running Oracle so I expect that browsing or watching films would be sh1t too. The charger is tiny though so no hassle to carry it around. It's a little plasticky but what do you expect for £150?
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • blister pus
    It is not a toy/gadget. It's a fully functioning PC. It's just small.

Of course it's a fully functioning pc, it's also a niche hybrid novelty gadget item and an acquired taste. I had ubuntu on mine before i sold it. I said it would probably do him for what he wants and i also said he needs to be careful using one full time as the novelty can and does wear off. But I do think they are good value - make sure you wish you didn't spend a little extra 2 months down the line.
  • blister pus
    Wu, make sure you check these two out:

http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php/74334 ... lan-wlan-/

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Produ ... m-N270-1GB

Shop around for prices on them, especially that NC10 (i've seen them < 300) and there are reviews on both, both traditional and youtube.
  • don't buy anything yet,my sister was going to buy a netbook or a laptop but my uncle (used to work at microsoft) said wait till they stop using Intel Atom in netbooks and wait till windows 7 comes out later this year
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • blister pus
    don't buy anything yet,my sister was going to buy a netbook or a laptop but my uncle (used to work at microsoft) said wait till they stop using Intel Atom in netbooks and wait till windows 7 comes out later this year

The atom is fine for netbooks with XP and the basics but with Windows 7 round the corner it's worth waiting. Unless you really aren't that bothered and just want immediate use for a couple of years.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    what are we waiting for Windows7 to do that XP doesn't? There may be some marginal improvements in how well it manages your laptop batteries, it'll have the same security features as vista (most relevant if your netbook gets half-inched).

XP every time for me. No need to wait for the emporer to launch his 'new' range of clothing.
  • blister pus
    mr_si wrote:
    what are we waiting for Windows7 to do that XP doesn't? There may be some marginal improvements in how well it manages your laptop batteries, it'll have the same security features as vista (most relevant if your netbook gets half-inched).

XP every time for me. No need to wait for the emporer to launch his 'new' range of clothing.

In a word (well, three) - support life cycle

but I tend to agree.
  • Why wait for windows7 when Tiger/Leopard OS does it all and better already?! :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • blister pus
    Why wait for windows7 when Tiger/Leopard OS does it all and better already?! :wink:

Except you are paying through the nose for appleness and the privilege of becoming a mactard.
  • ...but it all works. Not a single issue with my Mac OS in 6 years, not a single error message/pop-up or lost file, and it's as quick now as when I bought it...you could not say that about ANY Windo$h OS
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• blister pus
    Depends how you manage your Windows OS. The vast majority of user fuck ups are down to p!ss poor management on the end users part. And i say that as someone who fixes end users Windows machines as part of his job.
  • The missus cant use Mac, so bought her a Windo$h machine, and it's always the updates that cause issues. She is constantly needing to update Norton etc, and it's all unnecessary hassle IMO. Mac got it right first time, and all the updates I get are new version of iTunes with cool features, new Safari stuff (but use Firefox anyway!) and the occasional security update. Microsoft seem too keen to get the new software out there to keep the revenue flowing, but never check it properly and constantly advise 'patches' to repair poor coding in the original. Not even the patches seem to fix it all the time...?
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• blister pus
    The missus cant use Mac, so bought her a Windo$h machine, and it's always the updates that cause issues. She is constantly needing to update Norton etc, and it's all unnecessary hassle IMO.

Well there's your first mistake, using Norton. Windows needs updating because it's the world's leading desktop OS and obviously gets the proportional higher number of exploits needing to be fixed because it's a relatively big easy target.
    Mac got it right first time, and all the updates I get are new version of iTunes with cool features, new Safari stuff (but use Firefox anyway!) and the occasional security update.

Mac is undoubtedly a successful product with it's kernel based on Unix so what do you expect. :lol:

Which is why what i say below is true...
    Microsoft seem too keen to get the new software out there to keep the revenue flowing, but never check it properly and constantly advise 'patches' to repair poor coding in the original. Not even the patches seem to fix it all the time...?

It's a corporate monster, what can you say? But the move from XP to Vista was a developmental necessity at kernel level and they are addressing people's (legitimate) complaints about Vista by bringing 7 out, all be it in a money grabbing corporate monsta kinda way, but Windows 7 will be their new XP.
  • So in conclusion, if you want a computer that will work, do it quickly, not need updating every 6months, be secure & bug free use Mac OS...if you can afford it! Else you pays your money, takes your chance with Windo$h!

You've got me wanting to upgrade to a MacBook now... :lol:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• blister pus
    So in conclusion, if you want a computer that will work, do it quickly, not need updating every 6months, be secure & bug free use Mac OS...if you can afford it!

No, use Linux it's free and better than either of the other two on those criteria. :lol:
    Else you pays your money, takes your chance with Windo$h!

Else you manage Windows properly and not shove stupid software on it that creates an environment for corruption and conflict. And don't download any old sh!t off the web. :lol:
    You've got me wanting to upgrade to a MacBook now... :lol:

Yes, they can see you coming a mile off. :lol:
  • blister pus
    To be fair though if you are into that type of thing they do make a nice product apple, no denying that. Hence their continued success.
  • Indeed...but Im a shrewd Mac user, so will not be sucked into paying full whack for a new MacBook, but already have seen a deal where through cashback and discount I can get a brand new for under £600 (almost £200 off list price!).
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I find it amusing that every computer related post on this forum turns into a Windows vsMac debate.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • blister pus
    evangelist mactards n windozers, huh