routes in Wales

camerauk
camerauk Posts: 1,000
edited July 2009 in Routes
Coming up to wales in Aug would like to do a few routes in wales around the merthyr tydfil area would need some thing that the wife can do nice and easy about 10 miles no hard decents jumps etc and something more challenging for me and me son
GPS routes would be great that I could load into me garmin edge 205 but not essential
Specialized Camber Expert
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• camerauk
    Bump
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    Take a look at the Afan web site. There are a number of routes. I'm sure there is a family route at the one centre.
  • camerauk
    Thanks for that one but would like a trail centre a bit closer to merthyr tydfil if possible are there any?
    any other ideas
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The one that comes to mind is the Taff Trail
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • camerauk
    Yes That one is one we looked at any idea about a bit more of a challenge for me an my son?
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    There used to be a bike hire place in Tal-y-Bont, I did a route they recommended across to Pontsticilll and back via a mountain pass, it was some years ago so the route is vagie in my mind.

It may be worth looking at the Brecons MTB website
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
  • evomtb
    evomtb Posts: 11
    if you travel up north a bit (still in wales though) you can find the coed y brenin trails. these are absolutely fantastic in every way. there are lots of set trails ranging from practically a footpath of about 6km, to the 42km "beast of brenin" which has some fantastically technical descents and amazing singletrack. for a challenging family ride i recomend either the mbr trail or the tawr trail. both quite short, but with fairly challenging sections.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Wales may look small but its hard to get about, Mertyr to Coed is about 2.5- 3hours on a good day drive. so scrub that one i say, Cwm carn is your closest trail center so you know
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/

There's a range of routes there, not too sure what kind of standard your after.

Taff trail is definitely your way into the hills, it's pretty tame but can be a long day out if you try going as far as Tal-y-bont or Brecon.

Deffo. try Cwmcarn with the boy, it's 9 miles round and anything you can't cycle can be pushed (eg there's a tarmac route up). Big fan. :D
  • camerauk
    Cheers everyone for your replies
    Think I will leave traveling up North for when I have a bit more time and not visiting relatives
    not sure I will bother with the Taff trail this time but sounds like an option at some point
    Mr Si is this the route you mean
    http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/hubs/ ... m-treweryn
    also I take it there are easy routes here as well for the misses?

Cheers
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    Having a look over the website I would like to go to either
    Talybont on Us, Sennybridge or maybe Crickhowell as these are a bit closer so I would only have to travel about 30 mins by car
    do all these have parking and a cafe and which have the better routes
    Specialized Allez Sport