Knee Pain

Skippy2309
Skippy2309 Posts: 426
edited July 2009 in MTB general
Cant find nothing on this, Just switched to SPD's 2 days ago everything was fine, yesterday everything was fine, but on my ride home I got a rather severe pain from right quad (medial side), patella and patella tendon, I neigh on pulled over and got off it lasted 15-20 minutes I shifted as low as i could and just kept the legs moving (at one point i was cycling with only the left leg)

Has anyone else experienced this? is it to do with cleat position, hadnt had a problem before.

Cheers
FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)

Comments

• Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    i've heard a few people mention knee pain due to SPD useage and the fact its not smooth circles they spin and they are more of an oval shape? Dunno how much truth in this however I've not experienced this myself....
    It's been a while...
  • No experience of it myself, as I don't use SPD's, but a mate of mine had the issue when he first used them and had to let them float a bit more as he had them clipped so securely he was forcing his knee through an unnaturally linear movement.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i had some pain well discomfort when i started off with spuds..

have you set them up right thats the hardest thing setting them up to keep your foot in a natural position..
    try abother shortish ride if the pain persists then try adjusting your cleats, it's trail and error,, it took me a good few adjustments to get mine right...

when you do get them right mark round the cleat with a pen so you can line them up in the future....
    good luck..