Lands end to John o'Groats...

wmshome
wmshome Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Hello. A friend of mine is embarking on this intense ride. He is planning on doing the 900 mile trip in 9 days, and is doing it to raise money for a cancer group who looked after his mother in law, who died from cancer last year.

Can anyone pass on any advice on doing the trip? Places to stop, or any one who has done it have any info they could pass on.

Would be very grateful for you help.

Thankyou...

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    This may not be terribly helpful but my advice would be not to plan to spend any time in JOG. It is a hole. I was there last weekend hoping it might have improved since the last time I was there 25 years ago and it has actually managed to get worse! It is like a 1970's service station during an extended period of roadworks in a long recession.

Also, having driven the coast road to Helmsdale, that is a hell of a way to finish a long ride. Big long hills on exposed coast. You'll be glad of the strength in your legs.

That said, there were some guys finishing up when we were there and they were as chuffed as the Flying Scotsman with a full boiler to have made it. So don't let a miserable git like me put you off. :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    CTC have a dedicated LEJoG forum - a wealth of useful info there: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=22

a serious case of small cogs
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Do it the other way around, cycling to a warm beach is better than cycling to cold mountains 8)
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    I agree with pneumatic- JOG is a hole but there are some pretty decent places nearby. The CTC thread is worth a look and, depending on the route you settle on, I'll give you a cheer as you pass by.

Best of luck.

-Spider-
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Homer J wrote:
    Do it the other way around, cycling to a warm beach is better than cycling to cold mountains 8)

Where is the beach?

I never found it in either LE or JoG
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Wouldn't the prevailing westerly winds be more beneficial going South West to North East?
    grayo59 wrote:
    Wouldn't the prevailing westerly winds be more beneficial going South West to North East?

Exactly.

Though the spur to leave Scotland as far behind as possible could compensate for it... :twisted:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    teagar wrote:

Though the spur to leave Scotland as far behind as possible could compensate for it... :twisted:

Nah - you don't want to do that.

-Spider-
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    I did it LE to JOG direction and its good to get the hills of cornwall and devon behind you as soon as possible. And it is also "generally" true about the south westerly winds. LE and JOG are both very uninspiring places which is just as well as i had a taxi waiting for me at JOG when i arrived!
    Book your bike on any trains to get there/back and dont assume there will be a space.
    Places to stay... depends on your friend's budget, but id advise against youth hostels. Last thing you need after a long days pedalling is a rubbish night's sleep.
    Also, make up the miles between Bristol and the Lakes with long and (relatively flat) days and keep the other days shorter or he'll burn out.
    I did it in 13 days which was hard going (for me). I spent an absolute fortune but id do it again.