Controltech Wing bars, to tape or not ???

bunnerscj
bunnerscj Posts: 396
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Just bought some controltech Formidable wing bars.
They look great on the bike but....
Should they be taped right to the stem as normal round bars would be or, taped just to cover where your hands would rest on the top flats of the bars or just to the hoods ?

If not taped, will the paint be ok over time with wear from gloves and hands etc ?

What do you do ?

:)
'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    bars.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They do't seem to be painted, looks like a carbon weave finish, so no to taping IMHO and leave the carbon as it is.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Why do you tape ?

Apart from cosmetic reasons, it's for shock/road-buzz absorption and to stop your hands slipping when the bars are wet from rain.

Up to you whether you think these apply to the tops, and if you think they do whether the cosmetic of leaving the tops bare so everyone can see your carbon overrides it

(I never tape right up to the stem anyway - surely you leave a couple of inches each side, where you'd never hold the bars, and you fit your computer, lights, etc)
  • bunnerscj
    bunnerscj Posts: 396
    Thanks all,
    I have bought the white alu ones and not carbon. I have taped all along the bar to 1.5" befroe the stem.
    When taped, the bars feel very fat, therefore might just tape up to the hoods.
    Am a little concerned that without tape the white paint would slowly rub off if being held for a period of time.
    'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'