New ride - Marin Northside Trail

Hitby
Hitby Posts: 218
edited March 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hi all,

Just been to pick up my new bike, worked out that the last time I was out riding was 5 years and 3 months ago! Hopefully this will help me get back into the swing of things :)

One question as I've not had disc brakes before. I can hear the disc rub on the pad as I spin the front wheel - is this normal or does it mean that when I put the front wheel back on I've somehow done it wrong? Thanks for any advice!

Anyway, I know you're here for pics so...

DSC_3235.jpg

DSC_3236.jpg

Excuse the dirty pots! :lol:

Comments

• Stewwmb
    Stewwmb Posts: 257
    Nice bike :)

Try squeezing the brakes a couple of times after fitting the wheel might help centre the pads, after you have bedded them in they may not do it anyway..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is a fecking huge kiwi!
  • Little T
    Little T Posts: 16
    Don't worry perfectly normal! The pads just take a little bedding in when they're new. Front can take a little longer than the rear, as we all tend to hang on the back brake more than the front.
    Pain is Temporary, Glory is forever!
  • Hitby
    Ok thanks, that's put my mind at ease, can't wait to get out and about now! Tackle some shallow inclines lol.
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Is that the new Northside trail? Have they got rid of the hydroformed octaganol top tube and replaced it with a round one instead? Looks like a wicked bike, really strong frames.

What upgrades you gonna be looking at?, decided on any yet?

The declines are more fun, you hunt out some of those :lol:
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Nice! That should get you out riding again! :D

If you spin the front wheel and it spins freely for a while before stopping it's no problem, if the brake starts to really drag and stop the wheel quickly you'll just need to realign the caliper, which is dead easy.
  • Hitby
    HandjobDan wrote:
    Is that the new Northside trail? Have they got rid of the hydroformed octaganol top tube and replaced it with a round one instead? Looks like a wicked bike, really strong frames.

What upgrades you gonna be looking at?, decided on any yet?

The declines are more fun, you hunt out some of those :lol:

It is the new Northside yes, and no, the top tube isn't round, I don't really know the technical terms but at the front it's almost triangular with chamfered edges giving it six unequal sides. Near the seat post it is oval/round.

As for upgrades - probably as and when things break, I know some of the parts arn't the best but as a beginner I'm sure they'll do me for a while. After I've been riding for a bit I'll know better which parts I want to replace anyway.
    Nice! That should get you out riding again! :D

If you spin the front wheel and it spins freely for a while before stopping it's no problem, if the brake starts to really drag and stop the wheel quickly you'll just need to realign the caliper, which is dead easy.

Yep, it does spin so think it'll be good for now :) Thanks again for the replies fellas.

Dan
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    supersonic wrote:
    That is a fecking huge kiwi!

Lomu?
  • Hitby
    well...

Who'd have thought it. After saying last July that I wouldn't be upgrading till things break I have now got

Deore rear mech + cassette, deore front mech, sram 970 chain, hollowtech bb, charge spoon saddle, deore shifters, cane creek bar ends, deore chain rings, spd pedals, and conti MK tyres which are going tubeless this week.

Why didn't anyone warn me? :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i don't think the shimano hollowech BB's are compatible with truvativ's GXP system? (which sucks as truvativ BB's are rubbish)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Hitby
    I installed all this stuff some time ago, I replaced the cranks at the same time as the bottom bracket. For what it's worth, the ht2 was really easy to install and it's been faultless all over winter. I'd definitely recommend them
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Little T wrote:
    as we all tend to hang on the back brake more than the front.

Are you on drugs?

Hitby - you're not doing things by halves then! Nice upgrades. HT2 definitely gets my vote in the BB/crank stakes 8)