HELP! Changing a tyre....Quite Urgent...*Solved*

Nickodemus
Nickodemus Posts: 94
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

What am i doing wrong?!

I had a tyre completely blow out on me the other day and am now trying to change it for a new Michelin Pro3 Race, but i just can't get it on!!

I have a TT to get to which i have to leave for in about 20mins, but have been trying to get this damn tyre on for about an hour now!!!

It's just too tight! I'm trying to get it onto a Ksyrium elite wheel. I got the first side on eventually, but it just seems way too small for the wheel for the last side.

My thumbs are destroyed and i've broken all my tyre levers.

Does anyone have any advice on this cos at this rate i'm not going to make it to the TT??

God knows what would happen if i got a puncture on the side of the road cos this is just ridiculous!!

Thanks.
"Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ensure the side you have on is in the middle of the rim.
    Insert Tube with a few PSI in it.
    Pull the second side on, ensuring the first side is still in the middle of the rim. When you get to the point where you can't pull any more on, have the wheel so that the bit you can't get on is nearest you (6 o'clock), grab the tyre on the sides at 3 and 9 o'clock and pull hard towards you to stretch the tyre.

You shouldn't need tyre levers.
  • Nickodemus
    Dude, you're a star! Thanks!

Even though that's exactly what i thought i was doing, when i followed your instructions to the letter, it seemed to go on....Not easily though! Don't think i'm going to be able to use my hands for a few weeks now! :shock:
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Poor time management imo.
  • Nickodemus
    Haha! You bet.

One of those days unfortunately! :roll:
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    did u do better in the TT on the new tyres?
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    I had probs the other day with putting a tyre back on but then all of a sudden it just seemed to slide on so i think there is definately a nack to it, just practise makes perfect but it's something none of us really want to have to practise lol

Anyways good luck in the TT and what distance are you doing?
  • Nickodemus
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The tyre replacement was a necessity as my previous tyre completely blew up.

The course was a bit of a slog, fairly gusty winds etc, but the tyre must have helped cos i won!! Which is always nice. No where near a PB in terms of average speed, but i've never done that course before.

It was 11.5miles.
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    Fair play a W is a W and you never know if you had done that course a few times before it could well have been a PB