Best place to take girlfriend?

The Hogester
The Hogester Posts: 101
edited August 2009 in Routes
I ask that in the mountain biking sense of course :D

Im just getting back in to mountain biking, and would like to take my gf away for a weekend of riding (once again a biking reference.) Where would you suggest, that would be easy enough for her but still give me enough enjoyment that i dont fall to sleep?

She can ride a bike just fine, but she's never done any proper mountain biking.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Damn misleading thread titles!

Rutland is supposed to be nice.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    From B'ham, Cannock Chase is the obv. choice http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/index.php

Miles and miles of relaxing green routes, take in some (or all) of Follow The Dog if you want to liven things up, reasonable cafe & bike shop, impossible to get lost...
  • The Hogester
    .blitz wrote:
    Cannock Chase is the obv. choice http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/index.php

Mile and miles of relaxing green routes, take in some (or all) of Follow The Dog if you want to liven things up, reasonable cafe & bike shop, impossible to get lost...

I was thinking of taking her to Cannock Chase, i went up ther the other week myself and loved it. I just dont know if she would be up to doing any of the follow the dog trail. The other problem being that she has a pretty horrible apollo full sus bike. I cant quite convince her to buy a new one though, but maybe she'll change her mind once she throws it down some rough stuff.

As far as i was aware though. It was follow the dog, and the family trails? Is there anything out there thats in between those 2?
  • .blitz
    As far as i was aware though. It was follow the dog, and the family trails? Is there anything out there thats in between those 2?
    Follow The Dog and the green routes are labels on trails that were there a long time ago. The green family sections are plush fireroads and FtD is an entertaining MTB loop but the rest of the Chase is basically all bridleways interconnected with random singletrack. If you get fixed up with a map from Swinnos bike shop at Birches Valley you can ride around all day on anything that catches your eye. The last sections of FtD on the way back to the car park are pretty easy and if your gf doesn't like them it's easy to bale out where they cross the bridleways.

Swinnos also have a wide range of hire bikes if you want to get the mrs on a new machine :wink:
  • The Hogester
    Anywhere in Wales that would suit?
  • Ian P
    Ian P Posts: 36
    I would suggest Follow the Dog as one the best intros to mountain biking rather as opposed to a bike ride not on the road. I've taken my 9 year old daughter a number of times and have got the wife out there as well (the wife is a good bit slower than the daughter :) ). If you want to make it less intimidating you can miss out the boardwalk section (closed anyway at the moment I think), take the right hand short cut at the top of the fireroad climb, which misses out probably the most technical section and go down the fireroad instead of the 'chainslapper' descent. Doing this would still give a decent flowing ride but at very much as steady blue grade.

Other advice would be to consider going either daytime weekday if you can or failing that later on at the weekend (3pm or so), it can get very busy which can be intimidating if you're a beginner always having to pull over for faster people.
  • Ian P
    Ian P Posts: 36
    In Wales we've been to Coed Y Brenin - the green is pleasent ride with a few hills but not really mountain biking. The easiest red route is the Cylfwm Coch which is fairly flowing but still a bit harder than the FtD and more imtimidating because of the steeper descents - still had a good time with family and also got a mate who was a beginner round it the other week. Would definitely consider hiring a bike.

On the plus side its a lovely part of the world and you can hire decent log cabins at he holiday park 3 miles up the road.
  • The Hogester
    Are blue routes the best for starters then? Im not sure which colour is which.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    It goes Green, Blue, Red, Black with black being the most difficult.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Take her to Afan and throw her down The Wall. That way you'll put her off for ever and you won't have to listen to her constant chelping when out riding.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Hi Hogester

If you are looking to go to Wales then I would recommend that you take her to Llandegla. There is a blue run that is excellent for beginners and still pretty good fun for experienced bikers if you give it some hammer :D

There are pretty good facilities there too and you can hire bikes if you want. Be warned though it gets very busy at the weekend so you are best getting there either before 09:30 or after 15:00.

There are also some good natural rides in the area if the weather isn't too bad. Check out http://www.ridetheclwyds.com/ Let me know if you need any more info on the routes, I also have some alternative routes that are pretty good and gf friendly!

Stu

P.S if your gf is anything like mine......

Whatever you do, don't speed off in front, let her take the lead and you follow :lol:
  • The Hogester
    Stu 74 wrote:
    Hi Hogester

If you are looking to go to Wales then I would recommend that you take her to Llandegla. There is a blue run that is excellent for beginners and still pretty good fun for experienced bikers if you give it some hammer :D

There are pretty good facilities there too and you can hire bikes if you want. Be warned though it gets very busy at the weekend so you are best getting there either before 09:30 or after 15:00.

There are also some good natural rides in the area if the weather isn't too bad. Check out http://www.ridetheclwyds.com/ Let me know if you need any more info on the routes, I also have some alternative routes that are pretty good and gf friendly!

Stu

P.S if your gf is anything like mine......

Whatever you do, don't speed off in front, let her take the lead and you follow :lol:

That sounds like just the ticket! Thanks mate, and I think her taking the lead would be best lol
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    apollo full sus bike

She might be better off with a hire bike. Llandegla have orange G3's

+1 for Llandegla
  • The Hogester
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    apollo full sus bike

+1 for Llandegla

Yeah its pretty horrible, but theres no chance she'll buy herself a new one. I'll definately give Llandegla a look. Do you happen to know whats available accommodation wise there?
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    From behind :wink:
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • The Hogester
    fred1star wrote:

Ha, somebody finally said it :lol:
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Llandegla deffinatly.

I took my son there a few months ago and we did the green as he's only 6 and rode that with no problems.

2 weeks later I took him and mrs, D and we rode the blue, she's not too bad on a bike but not ver confident and had no problems tackling the blue run. The downside is the first climbs, whilst not a problem to MTBers, they might be off putting to girlies.

Just walk up with her.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    apollo full sus bike

+1 for Llandegla

Yeah its pretty horrible, but theres no chance she'll buy herself a new one. I'll definately give Llandegla a look. Do you happen to know whats available accommodation wise there?

I dont think there's much around Llandegla in the way of accomodation. The nearest towns are Wrexham and Ruthin. Ruthin being the most scenic and about 7 miles away.
  • wilcocker
    wilcocker Posts: 38
    Hi Mate

Stay in Llangollen, not too far away

Eat and drink in the Corn mill, nice pub right on the river

Really nice place to have a night out

Let us know how you get on, Ive got the same dilema with my mrs

Cheers
  • The Hogester
    wilcocker wrote:
    Hi Mate

Stay in Llangollen, not too far away

Eat and drink in the Corn mill, nice pub right on the river

Really nice place to have a night out

Let us know how you get on, Ive got the same dilema with my mrs

Cheers

Thanks for the tip. Im not sure when we'll be able to get away, but i'll be sure to report back!
  • The Hogester
    Just a little update. Took my girlfriend to Cannock Chase yesterday and she did great. For the most part we stuck to the green route, but I did take her on 3 sections of the Follow the Dog trail and she loved it. There was only one little part she skipped. I was really impressed with her, and now I'm really confident in taking her to Llandegla.

We did the newly opened rock/boardwalk section too. It was a bit dicey in the wet, but she did it fine. You've got to love a girl who doesn't mind getting muddy!
  • .blitz
    Nice work - the Chase is very versatile. You could always try the Stile Cop DH if you're feeling adventurous or The Monkey over towards Rawnsley Hills. Lots of other routes as well if you don't mind exploring.
  • The Hogester
    .blitz wrote:
    Nice work - the Chase is very versatile. You could always try the Stile Cop DH if you're feeling adventurous or The Monkey over towards Rawnsley Hills. Lots of other routes as well if you don't mind exploring.

What is The Monkey? I've heard it mentioned before. Just another trail?
  • .blitz
    What is The Monkey? I've heard it mentioned before. Just another trail?
    It's a bit more buff and flowing than FtD and basically DH. Allegedly it will link up with Phase II of the Dog so it should make a good circuit. The Monkey on YouTube.
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    The Monkey is closed at the moment, as it's currently being upgraded and incorporated into the new trail (Phase II). Plan is that the original Monkey will be black graded, and there will be a new red Monkey diversion going around it. More info here!
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    Hogester - I'm taking my missus to Sherwood Pines this saturday on her newly purchased GT so I'll let you know what its like for the splitto's and of course for us guys. Shouldn't be too far from Brummie land either.

I'm hoping I can get a kick out of a blue route - never done one, usually breaking the sound barrier, or my ass, on red or black so not sure whether I'll be bored or not but we'll see. Got to say I'm looking forward to geting out on the slopes with her anyway - what better way to spend a saturday...

Easy.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • The Hogester
    easyg wrote:
    Hogester - I'm taking my missus to Sherwood Pines this saturday on her newly purchased GT so I'll let you know what its like for the splitto's and of course for us guys. Shouldn't be too far from Brummie land either.

I'm hoping I can get a kick out of a blue route - never done one, usually breaking the sound barrier, or my ass, on red or black so not sure whether I'll be bored or not but we'll see. Got to say I'm looking forward to geting out on the slopes with her anyway - what better way to spend a saturday...

Easy.

Yeah Sherwood isn't too far from me. Let me know how you get on mate, could be a cool day out for me and the missus! The other place that isnt too far from me is the Wyre Forest, do you know if they have much to ride there?
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    fred1star wrote:

Ha, somebody finally said it :lol:

Sorry... just call me predictable... :roll: A mate of mine took his bird to Affan... she didn't make it out the car park before falling over ....
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    I'll try report back over the weekend re: Sherwood Pines. As for the other place you mention Hogester - I don't know it so maybe if you check that out you would let me and my girl kow how it was?

Can't wait to get out on saturday with her...

Spk soon.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • bedroom
    Life is not a spectator sport