Lanzarote vs Tenerife

mrushton
mrushton Posts: 5,182
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
I'm thinking of going out to the Canary Islands this winter for a week. Club LaSanta in Lanzarote looks good but Tenerife may be an alternative. Anybody been to either/both and give an opinion?

Thanks
M.Rushton

Comments

• beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    I have seen a few posts on these forums from a bloke who runs a training set up in Tenerife (I can't remember his name though). The link to his website is:

http://www.tenerife-training.net

This should give you a good place to start. They are based in Orotava on the North side of the island. They also do bike hire.

Hope this helps

Beefcake2
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Been to Lanzarote three times and really like it - but more for the surfing.

Don't like La Santa much (apart from the surf) - reminds me slightly of a prison camp! But there are hundreds of loon triathletes and riders all over the island (worlds toughest Ironman is done there) so it's a good place to train.

Stick to the non touristy spots (like Famara) and you'll have a proper Spanish island holiday. Often windy on both islands BTW.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    One of my friends had a holiday in Lanzarote. She wasn't that knocked out by it and gave it the nickname Land-so-grotty which would certainly put me off. Lots of black volcanic ash and strong winds a lot of the time.

I have another friend who lives on Tenerife and he loves it. He says the climb of the volcano (Mount Teide) is amazing. You can ride from near sea level to just over 2,300 m!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Been to Tenerife and Lanzarote, but not cycling.

However, for a cycling holiday, Tenerife would get my vote every time. I've ridden up Mt Teide on a motorcycle and one day, will go back and do it on a pushike...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Tenerife is such a great island :) - I am biased though as I was born there. :D

I would have thought though that Tenerife would be better - if only because of the hills!

Tarmac should be good either way
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra