Cycling Shorts

adydow
adydow Posts: 92
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Ok I have ordered my new & first Road Bike a Specialized Allez, so as a mtber I wear padded liners or padded bib shorts underneath by baggies. My question is do the padded shorts roadies wear differ, are the pads thicker and do they offer more comfort and cushioning and what are the reccomendations on what shorts I should invest in. I was rather shocked to see the cost of £100 plus for some.
Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.

Comments

• fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    I dont think the pads differ that much if at all

I have a pair of cannondale baggies with a padded insert and they arent hugely different than the chamois in my bib shorts.

As for what to get, IMHO you do get what you pay for. I've got a few pairs, the DHB stuff from wiggle is OK but its not IMHO very hard wearing.

I've got 3 pairs of Santini Bib shorts and they are by far and away the best shorts I've worn.

Have a look round and see what you like and what fits your budget.

HTH
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    adydow wrote:
    Ok I have ordered my new & first Road Bike a Specialized Allez, so as a mtber I wear padded liners or padded bib shorts underneath by baggies. My question is do the padded shorts roadies wear differ, are the pads thicker and do they offer more comfort and cushioning and what are the reccomendations on what shorts I should invest in. I was rather shocked to see the cost of £100 plus for some.

MTB'er here who bought an Allez a month ago
    Pads basically the same but you do get what you pay for and certainly notice the padding(or lack of it) more as you are not moving about as much

Just bought some Endura 260 pro bib shorts which seem pretty good-about £60
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Get bib shorts. I waited 10 years before splashing out. Ten years of second best.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• I've just recently "upgraded" to Bib shorts, worth doing IMO.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    As I'm probably never going to be lycra only, I wear Altura ProGels under Endura Singletracks. The ProGels can be worn on their own and have firm but very effective padding. Recommended.

Had cheapo undershorts/padded boxers before and they were useless.
  • adydow
    Cheers for the input guys, some good advice there, hopefully pick up a bargain somewhere on some pro type bibs!

Achem..another question :oops: do you wear anything underneath! Seems to be a consensus that you don't from reading some other threads.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    nothing underneath...not necessary...
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    i tried both - and it was too hot when wearing underwear - the nappy was plenty warm and comfy enough

(but i havent done any long rides yet)
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    softlad wrote:
    nothing underneath...not necessary...

Not very comfortable either I would imagine. Get bib shorts, much better than shorts. Castelli are lovely and not as expensive as some.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    pneumatic wrote:
    Get bib shorts. I waited 10 years before splashing out.

They do say its difficult to take a pee with bibs on. :wink:
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've just got some castelli shorts and they are v good

Kiss pad ones are the ones to get
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    rally200 wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:

I'd heard that, but my Alturas are so flexible that you can pull the front down easily to release the one eyed trouser snake.

Is that too much information? :oops:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Biscuiteer
    Biscuiteer Posts: 143
    Lusso ProGel 10 Panel Shorts/Bibshorts (£40ish). Very comfy and have an excellent pad. I've tried Giordana Silverlines for the same price too but they were very disappointing compared to the Lusso ProGels. The Lussos are made in the UK too.
  • Can someone explain what the real advantages of a bib are? My regular shorts eleastic do not irritate me, my top does not ride up giving me a cold back. Am I missing something else? Does it provide more support to the under carriage?
    2009 Kona Zing - second ever racer and follows my 5 speed downshifters Raleigh Milk Race of 1987ish :-)
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Can someone explain what the real advantages of a bib are? My regular shorts eleastic do not irritate me, my top does not ride up giving me a cold back. Am I missing something else? Does it provide more support to the under carriage?

A friend of mine reckons bib shorts are more comfy because they dont cut into my love handles.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • NoNotAgain
    NoNotAgain Posts: 91
    Go for bibs, nothing better on a road bike.
    But bear in mind that the basic use of the pad is not cushioning or shock absorbing, it's simply supposed to soak away the sweat.
    1,000km+ a month, strictly road.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    NoNotAgain wrote:
    But bear in mind that the basic use of the pad is not cushioning or shock absorbing, it's simply supposed to soak away the sweat.

No its not
  • rally200
    MikeWW wrote:
    NoNotAgain wrote:

No its not

+1 its sweat soaking abitlities are a draw back not a bonus,
  • rally200
    pneumatic wrote:
    rally200 wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:

I'd heard that, but my Alturas are so flexible that you can pull the front down easily to release the one eyed trouser snake.

Is that too much information? :oops:[/quote

but if its so easy why was it 10 years before you "splashed out" :wink:
  • pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    DHB bib shorts are cheap (£40) and have done an ok job for me the past few months.
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    + 1 for Lussos.
    As for bibs or not- it's another of those "sacred cows" isn't it? :wink: !
  • adydow
    I have some 3/4 bib ones DHB & Gore the Gore ones are more comfy and easier to flop the trouser snake out when taking a pee, the Dhb are not as comfy and akward for taking a leak. Seen how some riders take a pee while on the Tour de France, I would probably fall off if I tried peeing when still moving on the bike.

Bib shorts to give more support and makes sure the seatpad stays in position, so I think thats the idea IMO.

Will spend between £45-£60 then on some bibs.
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    I just go for any sale team shorts. Nalini seem to work for me, done miles in em.
  • The bib Vs. non bib I guess is down to preference. It is what you are comfortable in for the ride as, after all it is your under carriage in there. I echo the comments that you get what you pay for and having gone through various brands DHB's are around a 'minimum' you should look at. Not meaning to sound snobby before anyone picks me up!

More money usually means more padding, more panels in the garment, better fit. But I stress the usually.

If it's any help, in warm weather I prefer non bibs as cooling can be a bit more controllable. But put a bag on your back and it negates all that. Bibs will help keep the garment in place a little better. I have some Endura non bibs three quarters I paid £40 for and the fit is great, the padding large, thick and comfy and no problems.

Relieving yourself... no subtlety either way, stretch the fabric down contort as required and go. That's just the facts of lycra clothing!

No pants, another layer to stop the garment working properly and a non performance layer to rub and pinch you. Speaking from experience.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    The big danger with non-bib shorts is the risk of the builder's bum. I've witnessed it many a time on a club ride.

It may be very very big, but it's not clever.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Yeah but did it take your mind off of your own pain and suffering of the ride?!

Spackle and skid mark aside though obviously!