The bike a REALMAN rides. (warning: new bike content)

RealMan
RealMan Posts: 2,166
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Finally finished my build. Here it is..

Image0051.jpg

Image0052.jpg

Image0053.jpg

In the Alps in 10 days on it, cant wait.

Comments

• stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    With rubber QUEEN tyres :lol:

Nice bike, whats the full spec?
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • RealMan
    Full spec..

Frame
    Santa Cruz Chameleon. Large, Black

Forks
    Rockshox – Revelation 426 Air U-Turn Maxle Lite

Wheels
    Hope Pro II, on Stan’s 355s with DT Swiss Comps

Brakes
    Avid Elixir CR

Drive Train
    Cassette
    Shimano XT 11/32
    Chain
    Wipperman Connex 908
    Chain rings
    Middleburn 26 and 38
    BB & Cranks
    Shimano Hollowtech II XT
    Pedals
    Shimano XT
    Mechs & Shifters---Shimano XT (shadow rear mech)

Handlebars
    Ritchey WCS Carbon Rizer

Seatpost
    Thomson Elite Inline

Saddle
    SDG Bel Air RL

Headset
    Chris King

Tyres
    Conti Rubber Queens, 2.2, UST

Grips
    Lizard Skins Lock On Peaty

Stem
    Thomson Elite X4 O/S

Think thats about it
  • RealMan
    Around about 25lbs. Light enough to race, but got enough travel and strength for fun.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Nice one - what sort of travel are those forks?
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    nice...bar the neo guard.

do those RQ come up fat or thin for the 2.2?
  • gcwebbyuk
    true the neo guard does look a little small on those chainstays needs beefing up! 8)
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Looks very nice indeed. I'm a big fan of the stealth look.

You're going to have fun in the Alps (fingers x-ed for the weather). Just back fom Les Arc myself. Took my Cotic Soul and she did just fine. Have you considered a chain device? My chain kept hopping off the chainrings. Not a major problem, a quick half pedal usually got it back on the rings, but my BB took a bit of a beating.

http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=produc ... mid=CDDCR2

If you are planning to reatin its good looks, you might also want to wrap a little electrical tape around the lower part of the downtude, again a few chips in my paintwork from the rocks picked up by my 2.35 SuperTacky Downhill High Rollers (and can't recommend those tyres enough).

Most of all enjoy it, a great looking ride and the place to ride it. :lol:
  • ashfanman
    ashfanman Posts: 186
    Nope, not jealous at all. No siree.

:wink:

How much did the whole lot set you back?
  • gcwebbyuk
    ashfanman wrote:
    Nope, not jealous at all. No siree.

:wink:

me neither :wink: I dont keep looking at the pics every time someone responds to this thread, honest!
  • RealMan
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    true the neo guard does look a little small on those chainstays needs beefing up! 8)

What? Do you mean the chainstay protector?

The neoguard is the thing on the forks. It acts as a mudguard. Never tryed one before, and heard good things about it, so I figured I'd give it a go. And yes, I couldve made one out of an old inner tube, but I run tubeless, so I dont have any. And I figured I might as well buy the real thing, rather then an inner tube to cut to pieces.

You run a front mech and a chain device? Seems like overkill to me, but if I get that problem I may consider it. May even get a bash guard as well, just because they look cool..

How much it set me back? Not yet totaled it all up yet, but around £2200 is what I'm expecting.

And forks have adjustable travel, anywhere from 110-140mm.

And the RQs come up as a perfect 2.2 (as perfect as you could want, think they were 2.217 or something).
  • gcwebbyuk
    My bad - i thought he meant neoprene protector on the chainstay (hence neo-guard) ooops!

The actual neoguard (now I have looked again at the pics) looks good to me.

110-140 sounds good. My Stumpy has 90, frame is apparently warantied to 100, would have liked to put a longer fork on to slacken the head angle - but then its not a frame for that purpose.

I keep trying to work out what to get next, and have seen these frames advertised by Stif in various mags and liked them.

Good luck/fun in the alps! 8)
  • RealMan
    Yeah, your stumpy does look nice though. Think if I had one of those I'd keep it with a 90mm fork, but then its a different style of hardtail.
  • Soul Boy
    I run a standard 3 ring XT set-up, but as I say the chain kept jumping off and down onto the Bottom Bracket area. A quick spin of the pedals allowed for the front deraillieur to get the chain back on the rings, but it would be better to do as my mates did and fit the chain device. The DMR one is for use with 2 ring set ups and relatively cheap.

I was riding stuff like the downhill and black run (no. 8) at Les Arc, and going hell for leather (well for me at least :wink: ), but you do get bounced about a lot regardless of what you ride and having you chain stay put is one less thing to think about as you clatter through a rock garden, rooty section, take a jump....

Yup bashers do look cool, and money aside would have run one too. Though I don't think I grounded my chainrings on anything this year and rode some rough terrain.

Just a suggestion, to save chain jumping and paint chipping, but she's fine as she is.

I'd really like to do a set up like yours. Been considering going to 2 rings up front and the same sizes as you have and I'd love the extra travel on the forks. I run a old pair of 100mm Manitou Minutes - produced before they had their problems. I love the way they feel, super plush, but oh for another 30mm!!! Why oh why didn't I try harder at school :cry:
  • RealMan
    Sure you dont need to just adjust your limit screw on your front mech?

Thanks though, we will be with bike village, between les arcs and la plagne.
  • Soul Boy
    Quite sure :lol:

Coming off on the inside, when the deraillieur was on the middle ring. Like I say, we were hacking it. Got down Black no. 8 before the funiculaire got back to the bottom and on a hardtail with 100mm up front, thats not bad going.

The downhill is a great trail, really flowy and they've just opended their bike park with a good selection of North Shore type area (some great stuff in there), 4X track and slopestyle (though never did find the slopestyle :? and thats probably for the best).

We had great weather this year, made such a difference.

You will have a great time, the riding is superb.

I've just taken my piste map out, oh the memories..... :lol:
  • @ RealMan,

Whats the size and rise of your stem, is it the 90mm x 10deg? Trying to decide if its gonna be the right size for my custom build?

TIA :D
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Blackspire Stinger is a cheap chain guide that worked for me in a week of practising/racing in the Mega. I replaced the big ring with a bash as well.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    really nice bike 8) how are you finding the lock on peaty grips? i'm thinking about getting some
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Dangerous Dave
    Dangerous Dave Posts: 8,349
    Nice to see one of the new Chameleons built up. A bit too 'light weight' for my taste but nice, nonetheless. Awesome frames that inspire confidence over any terrain and rail corners... About time I rebuilt mine I reckon.
    Shut up. And ride your bike.
    Originally posted by Jon
    As Dave and Alex raced past, someone in the other group of people said 'those two are good'
  • RealMan
    Nice to see one of the new Chameleons built up. A bit too 'light weight' for my taste but nice, nonetheless.

Its double the weight of a lot of xc frames - so what do you usually ride?
    Whats the size and rise of your stem, is it the 90mm x 10deg? Trying to decide if its gonna be the right size for my custom build?

Ah, so close. 100mm x 10deg.
    andy46 wrote:
    really nice bike 8) how are you finding the lock on peaty grips? i'm thinking about getting some

They look pretty cool, and they feel comfy enough (never really been too bothered about grips, just bought them for the look to be honest). However, they stopped being white about 2 minutes after being put on (no joke, just holding them while tightening them up discoloured them slightly) but thats what you pay for having white gear. Unless theyre really easy to clean, I'll probably get rid of them for something more reasonable when the winter comes..
  • Dangerous Dave
    RealMan wrote:
    Nice to see one of the new Chameleons built up. A bit too 'light weight' for my taste but nice, nonetheless.

Its double the weight of a lot of xc frames - so what do you usually ride?
    DH normally. Yeah, the frame in comparison the current breed of XC hardtail frames but then you can't take an XC frame and hurl it down a 4x track or clock up the air miles on your local jump spot without fear of it snapping.

In terms of light weight I meant things like the longish stem, and ickle SPDs... just looks more like an XC build - but still v nice. It will be mint for tha Alps, perfect blend of strength, agressive handling and lightness so it isn't a chore to haul it around the hills.

My Chameleon was built up like this: http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m191 ... msmall.jpg . Used it as my true everything bike, rode 4x, local dh tracks dirt jumps and then took it on long XC epics in wales/scotland/peaks etc.
    Originally posted by Jon
    As Dave and Alex raced past, someone in the other group of people said 'those two are good'
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I've always wanted a S.C.Chameleon! Very nice bike, I'm not jelous at all!!!
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Hey really nice bike, What size are the double XT Chainrings?

I have tripples on mine at the moment, but was thinking about swapping them out at some point for a double set-up and possible bashguard.

What are the Rev's like? I think they look like a good compromise between weight and strength, what are they capable of?
  • RealMan
    HandjobDan wrote:
    Hey really nice bike, What size are the double XT Chainrings?

What are the Rev's like? I think they look like a good compromise between weight and strength, what are they capable of?

Theyre middleburn chainrings. 26 and 38.

Revs, dont know yet, only had the bike built up for a day or two now. But I bought them because I didnt fancy all the weight of pikes, but wanted the travel. They feel pretty nice so far though.

In terms of light weight I meant things like the longish stem, and ickle SPDs... just looks more like an XC build - but still v nice.

Well you know longer stems are heavier then shorter stems.. Its all about reach really. And SPDs are just what I ride on all my bikes, just a preferance. I've heard of people riding DH on SPDs. Dont think theyre particularly light either.
    It will be mint for tha Alps, perfect blend of strength, agressive handling and lightness so it isn't a chore to haul it around the hills.

Exactly what I was going for, cheers.
    My Chameleon was built up like this: http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m191 ... msmall.jpg . Used it as my true everything bike, rode 4x, local dh tracks dirt jumps and then took it on long XC epics in wales/scotland/peaks etc.

Looks nice, whyd you take it apart?
  • Dangerous Dave
    Yeah I know a lot of DHers use SPDs... I myself have used them on occasion. Just saying it looked like it was a more build to suit epic long rides rather than being chucked down a freeride track or 4x race. Not a bad thing, that's the great thing about the Chameleon, it can be anything you want!

I took mine apart to replace it with a meta 4x. Anyway, their awesome bikes and it'll give you a big grin every time you ride it.

Defo a bike a REALMAN rides! :lol: [/i]
    Originally posted by Jon
  • RealMan
    Yep, cheers!

:D
  • sexy bike, i am after ditching my full bouncer for one of these, don skene cycles are doing off the peg freeride builds for about £1700 which seems like a steal really as i dont think i will be able to break it