Bourg d’Oisans Accomodation Recommendations

musto_skiff
musto_skiff Posts: 394
I have talked my wife into a trip to the Alps :D

Any recommendations for a nice place to stay? She is not a cyclist so part of the deal is we stay in a nice place where she can enjoy herself whilst I am toiling up some hills.

She's a keen runner so will be out doing that but of course she'll be on her own for some of the time so a nice place in town would be great ...

Any suggestions welcome ...

Also .... any events over the weekend of the 29th I could join in on ?

Comments

• Hi there - I own a stand alone brand new chalet in perhaps the best location for biking in the entire Rhone Alps region - close by to Bourg d'Oisans and alpe d'Huez and actually on the base of the Glandon and Croix de fer climbs - all that with an incredible view (1000m up so high enough for a view but not too high to ride back up at the end of the day!).
    Next door is a small bar/restaurant although most guests tend to go fully self catered there are several options for meals out nearby.

For cyclists the chalet has its very own secure large garage underneath complete with Park Tool stand and tools, track pump so that you don't have to bring your entire garage along too!

For further info please visit: www.vaujanychalet.com
    my tel: 07740 922832.

Martyn
  • As a keen runner your partner might love the trails at the back of the chalet (pics on the site) and the lake below has a v quiet path/road to run along -(actually the lake is the same lake as used in the Alpe d'Huez triathlon each year)

Happy to help / advise further if required.

Martyn

www.vaujanychalet.com
  • Will Young
    Will Young Posts: 26
    I took the Mrs over when I did the Marmotte last month. We stayed at la Christina Hotel up Apl D'huez. Basic, but ok - I doubt if would be enough to keep your Mrs happy though. Just down the road a bit, I spotted a really nice hotel that I got details about and will ceratinly look into for next year - www.leprintempsdejuliette.com. It looked nice and friendy and whilst it's at the top of the Alp, there would be lots of hill runs she could go off on. A favour - if you do use it, let me know what it's like!
  • Try http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/, good people, cycling / triathletes, good food, company and routes advice, support offered for long rides if planned, I believe.
    Simon
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Try http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/, good people, cycling / triathletes, good food, company and routes advice, support offered for long rides if planned, I believe.
    Simon

Ditto above. KOM is great place to be based as very relaxing a place just to chill out + plenty of good hiking/MTBing and swimming lake nearby. Run by English couple, great cooking + help yourself fridge, sky tv and is more like staying with friends than being in hotel. Only disadvantage is that its 5 miles or so up the col d'ornon so not based in Bourg. (That said reco in any if 2 of you with different interests would be fly and get a hire car.)

Re events, there's a weekly time trial up the Alp on Thursdays. 29th weekend not sure (there's a tough sportive weekend before, Marco Pantani Memorial). If you get in touch with KOM they can offer advice. They will also arrange for a supported ride if you fancy doing something like tackling the Marmotte or a TDF stage route.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Rick

We're staying here in Sept:-
    http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p82317
    It gets good reviews, and looks very modern. It's at the foot of ADH, and very close to BDO centre.

A few years ago, we stayed at the Chalet Ribot on hairpin 12. Nice place, with great food. Great as long as you can manage climbing nearly half way up ADH each day to get back to the digs !! (www.chaletribot.com).

With regard to events, have a look on Russell Standring's site, Grenoble Cycling, and contact Russ from there, as he's the man in the know for this area. Probably knows of one or two little gems that the rest of us aren't wise too yet.

Cheers
    Alan
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    you could try http://www.enjoyoisans.com very helpful English couple run this small setup, and they have a small quiet place right in BdO.
    (have not stayed with them but Helen did some massages for us)
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • musto_skiff
    Thanks for all the tips ... doing some homework now, key is to find somewhere where my wife will be happy whilst I'm pedaling
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Thanks for all the tips ... doing some homework now, key is to find somewhere where my wife will be happy whilst I'm pedaling

what sort of thing does she like to do?
  • musto_skiff
    popette wrote:

what sort of thing does she like to do?

She's keen at running and will no doubt run every time I cycle; then I think she'd just like to chill out, swim and generally have a look around the place ....
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    If your wife likes swimming I expect you know there is a nice open air pool in Bourg d'Oisans with good views of the surrounding mountains (ok nearly everywhere in the town has good views but the fencing and surrounds just about block out the houses leaving mostly the hills). We had a good loosening paddle there the morning after the Marmotte. It's near the supermarket.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Take her to Annecy... girls love Annecy for the views, the glamour and the chocolatiers... plus she can run along the beautiful lake, in which she can even swim... whilst you can climb the Cret de Chatillon, the Col de la Colombiere, Col de la Forclaz etc etc...

Bourg d'Oisans is not exactly the place I would take my girlfriend... unless the aim was splitting up of course...

Plenty of accomodation in Annecy
    left the forum March 2023
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Take her to Annecy... girls love Annecy for the views, the glamour and the chocolatiers... plus she can run along the beautiful lake, in which she can even swim... whilst you can climb the Cret de Chatillon, the Col de la Colombiere, Col de la Forclaz etc etc...

Bourg d'Oisans is not exactly the place I would take my girlfriend... unless the aim was splitting up of course...

Actually there's a lake you can swim in south of Bourg as well..
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    bahzob wrote:

Actually there's a lake you can swim in south of Bourg as well..

Still a terribly boring place to spend summer with your partner...
    left the forum March 2023