Body Protection......Advice Needed Please

gurus5000
gurus5000 Posts: 20
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,

I keep thinking about buying some knee or arm protection but im wondering if I need it or not. What do people recommend for riding places like llandegla on xc style riding.

I know its a bit of an open question but just want peoples advice on what they have bought or would buy in my position.

Thanks in advance :D:):D

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited July 2009
    Kyle Straits are great for heavy-duty XC without being too hardcore. I don't use elbow pads myself but if the pads take the knocks so you can ride again the next day, it's money well spent (IMO).
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    This is a personal choice. Its your body, so if you feel the need for more protection then get some more. personally I ride with knee pads and elbow pads at most trail centers.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    If you find that you fall off constantly then get them. Else, you dont need them.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have 661 evo elbow and knee pads and they're OK for pedalling in (not great if it's really hot though). The elbow pads are a bit of a pain though in that I find to get them tight enough so they don't slip I start cutting off blood supply to my forearms :p I only tend to use them if going to a trail centre and even then usually just wear the elbows.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, you don't need them until you come off. And when you come off, you might really wish you had them. :roll:

It's a personal thing anyway, depends how comfortable you are, or how much protection you think you need.
    I've banged my knee far too many times over the years, and not neccesarily when falling off. I've had rocks thrown up by the front wheel take a chunk of skin off, caught low logs when banking round corners, and so on.
    Anyway, since I blew my knee out a few months ago, I'm fairly paranoid about it, so I wear knee guards pretty much all the time now. Got some kyle straight knee guards, as my old DH knee/shin combo ones were too much, and too hot for trail riding.

And remember, if you don't fall off once in a while, then you're not riding 'ard enough :lol: