Most hilly and most flat sportifs

paultrueman
paultrueman Posts: 118
Hi All

Just out of interest, does anyone know which UK 100 mile sportif has the greatest amount of meters of accent and which has the least.

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    flat out in the fens would be my guess as to the flattest.

most height climbed would need to be a unrelenting route, and one with closely packed hills, i'm also not sure you've ever really be able to prove it as GPS/online mappings tend to be off, some times by some margin.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I rode the Spud Riley in the Peak District earlier this year, dont seem to recall any flat bits, so may be a contender for hilly title??
  • sportives.
    I'm not so worried about the 'accent' bit ;)
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    It's not in the UK but the Ronde Picardie isn't exactly hilly
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge?
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Yep, the DLMC is the most hilly.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I thought the DLMC was a 150 miler . Most 100 mile sportives are 110-120 miles and the hilly ones about 3000 m of climb, I think the Fred Whitton and Rydale Rumble are up in the top set but that's the best I can offer. As a club we run a near flat 100 in May, there are a couple of little bumps and that's all. This ride is aimed at getting newer riders up to that target.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    todays white rose classic has 12725ft (3878m) of ascent in the 102 miler

http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk/index.php?page=routes
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    John C. wrote:
    I thought the DLMC was a 150 miler . Most 100 mile sportives are 110-120 miles and the hilly ones about 3000 m of climb, I think the Fred Whitton and Rydale Rumble are up in the top set but that's the best I can offer. As a club we run a near flat 100 in May, there are a couple of little bumps and that's all. This ride is aimed at getting newer riders up to that target.

From what I remember, The Dave Lloyd's around 15,000 - 16,000 ft in total - a few others come in at around 12,000-13,000 ft max. The DLMC has got the most ft ascent (in total) in Britain.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Yeah white rose has loads of climbing.
    Not many flat bits and loads of big climbs.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Mettan wrote:
    John C. wrote:

From what I remember, The Dave Lloyd's around 15,000 - 16,000 ft in total - a few others come in at around 12,000-13,000 ft max. The DLMC has got the most ft ascent (in total) in Britain.
    So basically we are talking about is the DLMC being about 33m climb / mile and the FW and RR about 26. Sounds easy. but then you have to think for every m you climb you go down the same so that will meen 66m/m for the DLMC and 52m/m for FW and RR or will it ? answers on a post card please :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    Forest of Dean. Nice and early in the season. Under 100 miles at around 80-85 miles packs in around 2500m of accent and is a roller coaster. DLMC (as my T shirt says) is 150 miles and over 17 000 ft of accent. 5000m ?

Flattest? Wouldn't know. Find them boring personally... :P
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    John C. wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    John C. wrote:

So basically we are talking about is the DLMC being about 33m climb / mile and the FW and RR about 26. Sounds easy. but then you have to think for every m you climb you go down the same so that will meen 66m/m for the DLMC and 52m/m for FW and RR or will it ? answers on a post card please :lol:

I think the quoted total climb figures for the DLMC are often a bit optimistic; most mapping sites put it somewhere around 12,000 feet, or about 3700m. Talk of 16,000ft or 5000m is pie-in-the-sky IMO. Dave Lloyd's sadly abandoned Cumbrian Killer sportive was also supposed to have 5000m of climb in just over 100 miles, which would give it 50% more climbing per mile than the FWC, even though it was to use a lot of the same climbs. Hmmm...I think organisers might be talking their routes up a bit...

The DLMC undoubtedly does have the most climbing of any UK sportive, but then it is 150 miles long. For most climbing per mile of a sportive over 100 miles I reckon the FWC would pip the DLMC, maybe not by a lot though.