Llandagla or Dalby forest?

scottkw2003
scottkw2003 Posts: 57
edited July 2009 in Routes
Hi folks
thinking of doing either of the mentioned,both about same distance and time for traveling
about 110 miles.
Which is the best?

Comments

• Dalby is a longer ride but Llandegla's more fun and the cafe is better
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    I'll 2nd the recommendation for Llandegla, feels a bit more man made/manicured but I personally found it a nicer trail overall, rewards you more with better downs and fun sections that Dalby does.
  • big_tex_uk
    big_tex_uk Posts: 183
    Have you been yet scottkw2003?

I am having the same dilema for riding tomorrow. I live in Grantham so Dalby is slightly closer than Llandegla.
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    CL is lame compared to Dalby, it's grading is way off the mark, the red is more like a blue route, nothing techy (bar a small bit of northshore), a highly sanitised trail.

Dalby every time.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • big_tex_uk
    I have ridden at Dalby before but was ill at the time and by the end of the red i was done in.

As whole i enjoyed it but found some of the man made sections a bit similar and boring. I loved some of the DH sections especially the ones near the end of the red route which although i was knackered were awesome.

I think i will be heading there tomorrow. Weather forecast looks ok ish. Any idea how the trails are at the moment?
    If i am going out on one i am happy, If i am out on one i am happy, If i have just been out on one i am happy, otherwise miserable!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Was up @ Dalby last weekend, trails were very dry & fast, although it has had a week of rain up there but the trails do drain well, so should still be good.

Top Tip: Start @ Dixon's hollow, then you get the good stuff before you're knackered & the 'boring bits' to ride whilst knackered so you don't really mind that they're not as good as the Riggs & Dales sections.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • big tex - we went yesterday and really thoroughly enjoyed it
    quite a demanding trail but still went round the red and black twice
    the black is not as black as i expected from the stories i have heard
    but all in all a great ride
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Hi folks
    thinking of doing either of the mentioned,both about same distance and time for traveling
    about 110 miles.
    Which is the best?

You'd have to more or less drive through the Peaks to get to Llandegla, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that!
  • big_tex_uk
    scottkw2003 did you find Llandegla a bit tame?

I dont think i can be arsed to drive all that way, and as dodgy states i would have to drive past the Peak.

I think i will do Dalby as i have done the Peak recently and fancy something different.
  • No i didn't find it tame and i will certainly go back but i ride in the peaks quite alot
    and it 's certainly more black up there on some of the runs
    however like you we were looking for something a bit different after doing peaks and cannock virtually every week.
    Did afan in may and i would say that it's a lot better than the wall but not quite as good as
    white's level or penhydd
    but no if you go i would think that you would enjoy