new trail at haldon

Dark Lord
Dark Lord Posts: 1,469
edited July 2009 in Routes
coming later this summer, looks great! (so far)
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/82536/

Comments

• dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    looks ok, but a bit boring. only decent bit is at the end. im presuming its not a red route? as the current red route (which i LOVE) looks much harder with rocks, roots and drops. think ill stick to the "freer" ride trail. i think its funny how one spelling mistake has gone so far!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • dot1
    also, those tree stumps look NASTY!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • delusional
    delusional Posts: 31
    dot1 wrote:
    looks ok, but a bit boring. only decent bit is at the end. im presuming its not a red route? as the current red route (which i LOVE) looks much harder with rocks, roots and drops. think ill stick to the "freer" ride trail. i think its funny how one spelling mistake has gone so far!
    Indeed. It does look a little too well surfaced!

Mind you, video does have a tendency to flatten the roughest trail so hopefully the reality is a little more interesting than the video.
    --
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
    - Salvor Hardin
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Don't worry about the surfacing, that'll cut up over time, new trails always look ridiculous (when we finish a surface at glentress it looks like a tarmac road, billiard table smooth, but it doesn't stay like that) It does seem to lack any, well, anything... More like a footpath than a bike trail.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is that tarmac? !

As said, looks like a footpath. Expect dog walkers and push chairs ;)

Must go riding down there some day. My neck of the woods (born & bred Devon), and yet never done mountain biking there. Only go down there now to see the folks. Used to do cross country (running) near there when I was at school though :lol: (always muddy).

p.s. How old is this lot and is it still there?

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4750

Can't see a date on the article. Photos look interesting though.
  • delusional
    delusional Posts: 31
    deadkenny wrote:
    p.s. How old is this lot and is it still there?

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4750

Can't see a date on the article. Photos look interesting though.
    Unfortunately most of that north shore stuff is currently in a severe state of disrepair. The whole black run is in fact completely closed off at the moment, or at least it was last time I was up at Haldon a few months back. I can't imagine much has changed since.

It's a real shame, I never got to ride it as it was and there's enough wood left to show me what I've been missing without it being at all rideable :(
    --
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
    - Salvor Hardin
  • dot1
    the freeride area has been shut everytime ive been there which is a shame cos the helter skelter looked sweet! the other freeride area (i think its the black run) was open the first time i went about a year ago, but everytime ive been since, its been shut. looks fairly permanent aswell as theyve put some wooden barriers up infront of the drop ins. the red route is still def worth a punt tho, its great fun. hills arent too bad as the car park is at the top of one, and the descents are quality! rocky, steep, berms and a VERY steep section covered with massive tree roots! ive done it a few times but last time i went i came up to it and thought f**k this and bailed. was very annoyed at myself! theres a little dh section that quite a few lads seem to session which is also great fun! im going agian in a couple of weeks and cant wait!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • gilbs2709
    gilbs2709 Posts: 3
    This looks along the lines of the current "adventure" trail. This can be a pleasant 30 minute pootle for a family, but try & ride it as fast as possible when there's no one around. It's flat though, so probably of not too much interest if downhill & freeride is your thing.
    2004 Kona Cindercone
    2005 Kona King Kikapu
    2008 Kona Kula Supreme