New Wheels

pompeypoppy
pompeypoppy Posts: 182
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Ok, so at the moment I have a pair of Giant IOU 555 wheels on my Giant SCR1, which came with my bike. Now looking to upgrade my wheels, but can't decide between the following:

Fulcrum Racing 3
or Easton EA70 or 90SLX

I'm siding with the EA70s, or would others consider it better to save a bit more and go for the 90s?

Any other wheel suggestions welcome!

Comments

• gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    Feel free to check out my review on decent wheel upgrades here...
    Best Wheels For Entry Level Road Bikes

If you can't be bothered then basically my advice would be the EA90s

But the EA70s are certainly a great wheelset

Good luck, let us know what you chose.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Pompey,

I am thinking about selling my Fulcrum R3's...

[They were my 'sportive' wheels to get my Allez into 'race spec', but I have since bought a new bike (so will keep the Allez dressed for Winter]

PM me if you are interested.
    Rich
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I've had a pair of EA90SLX (2008) models since early in the year and I'm very happy with them - they were available at a good price (ChainReaction -seem to still have them) and they've made a big difference to my bike - I've done about 1500km on them now on some pretty rough/bumpy roads and they're still absolutely true. I'm even thinking about a pair of EA50 SL's for winter training now .... had previously been thinking handbuilts.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • gtitim
    ScottieP wrote:
    had previously been thinking handbuilts.
    ScottieP

All Easton's are built by hand. Even the cheapest ones :)
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Mavic cosmic carbone's!!

Well, I've always wanted a pair, but could never quite justify the expense..
  • gtitim
    bikerZA wrote:
    Mavic cosmic carbone's!!

Well, I've always wanted a pair, but could never quite justify the expense..

Also nice wheels.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Have you looked at or considered the American Classic 420 Aero wheels? I've had mine for a couple of months now and they are awesome. I tested the Easton EA090's before buying and the 420 seemed so much better, in every respect.

The wheels have just had a new distributor in the UK and have undergone recent changes in hub design which apparently addresses previous build quality 'issues'. So far I've had no problems at all. I'd highly recommend them! I believe Nap D also uses the AC 420's and likes them too.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Actually its Monty Dog who's got the AC 420's and not Nap D. Sorry guys :oops:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    cool review there gtitim,

heres a question,I'm waiting to order a pearson touche,am going for the upgraded wheels HALO aerorage wheelset at another £85 but would I be better to save that £85 and put it towards a pair of Easton EA50 SL which are 328g lighter,is that a far better upgrade?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    IMO if you are going to upgrade you may as well make it worthwhile rather than a slight improvement. 328g is quite a lot off a set of wheels...
  • snig
    NapoleonD wrote:
    IMO if you are going to upgrade you may as well make it worthwhile rather than a slight improvement. 328g is quite a lot off a set of wheels...

yeah that was what I was thinking,its just another £120(just!!!) so seems well worth it.
  • gtitim
    snig wrote:
    cool review there gtitim,

heres a question,I'm waiting to order a pearson touche,am going for the upgraded wheels HALO aerorage wheelset at another £85 but would I be better to save that £85 and put it towards a pair of Easton EA50 SL which are 328g lighter,is that a far better upgrade?

I agree with Napolean - go for the Easton's, wheels are an awesome upgrade and always worth paying that little bit more. YOur bike will thank you for it :)
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I'd also choose the Eastons given their reviews, price and my positive experience with the EA90SLX. Let us know what you decide to do and how you like them.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Novatec Sprints are in the same ballpark for weight as the Easton 90SLX at 1377g for the pair.

http://www.performancecycles.co.uk/

I got mine 2 or 3 weeks ago,and I think the guys had one set left. They did a good deal on the price as well! :D

Very happy so far.
  • snig
    ScottieP wrote:
    I'd also choose the Eastons given their reviews, price and my positive experience with the EA90SLX. Let us know what you decide to do and how you like them.

ScottieP

I'm going for the eastons but I'll have to wait abit as I'm getting my bike on the cycle 2work,you have to wait 11 days cooling off just incase you change your mind,then they'll send out the voucher,then I can order,looks like all that is going to take a few weeks yet!

just to check,will the eastons fix the pearson touche as its a SS?(I' m thinking that will not make a differance)
  • dinosaur
    dinosaur Posts: 86
    snig wrote:
    just to check,will the eastons fix the pearson touche as its a SS?(I' m thinking that will not make a differance)

Hi, I'm afraid I'm too tired to check but a lot of single speed bikes will have the rear forks spacing at 120 mm to fit track hubs (which are usually 120 mm). Modern road wheels are 130mm. I have no idea if this appies to the Pearson Touche but worth checking.

If the spacing spec isn't online perhaps you check what the OLD spacing is on whatever the default wheels are. If they are standard road wheels then the eastons will surely fit; if they are wheels with track hubs then you'll need to check.