5k Run

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
edited August 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Did 5K yesterday in 28 minutes!

Well impressed with that - considering I've only been training now for 3 weeks think thats pretty good! ...... :D
It's been a while...

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Nicely done! Sounds like it's going well!

Did a10k trail race (10.6k in fact) - blimey was hard! Tree stumps to jump over, massive hills, over 100 steep steps to run up, streams to cross, etc, etc. Very serious runners too - most were club runners. I came 10th out of 150 with 50m5s (slow for a 10k but then the winning time was 44m - a road 10k is usually won in a time of 33m or so). My wife ran it too - her first race since school - beat her very fit friend and came 83rd with 1h02m17s.

Just done the usual 12.6 mile morning ride to loosen up - hobbling pretty badly!
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Graydawg wrote:

Well impressed with that - considering I've only been training now for 3 weeks think thats pretty good! ...... :D

Don't be tempted to push too hard too quickly if you're not used to running, you WILL injure yourself. Gradual increases in speed and distance is the way to go.

Been building up to half marathon (from 10k) for the past 3 months and STILL managed to injure myself, physio says mainly from building up too quickly and not giving the muscles times to adapt. Got my first full distance run this weekend, i'm a little scared! Managed 19km in just under 2hours last weekend, which i'm really happy with tho
  • Graydawg
    Nice one thanks for the tips!!

10k in 33minutes??? :shock: :shock: OMG i have some work to do ........ :roll:
    It's been a while...
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    10k in 33 minutes is very fast.

What's really depressing is when you work out that your best 5k time is a slower pace than the elites run full marathons at.... :shock: :lol:

2h15m marathon (Radcliffes WR) is the same pace as a 16minute 5k :?
  • Surf-Matt
    Gray - I haven't done one in that time! Never done a 10k on the road but I reckon I could just about dip under 40 mins (having done a trail 10k in 42 mins) but not much more than that.

I did a coast/trail 10k that had a HM and FM section - some of those longer distance runners were very quick!

Not really worried about running further - just not the right build (bit bulky) and 10k is plenty for me!

Gray - stretch lots, don't overdo it, try and avoid stopping/walking at all costs, drink plenty of water, enjoy the scenery, try and let your mind drift away from the run and get the most out of a sport you can do anywhere with almost no kit!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I know its crazy how fast marathon runners are!

I run a 10K loop in my woods in about 55 mins and find the distance and pace quite hard.

Yet the pros are running twice as fast as me and for a LOT longer! lots of respect to them!
  • Graydawg
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Gray - stretch lots, don't overdo it, try and avoid stopping/walking at all costs, drink plenty of water, enjoy the scenery, try and let your mind drift away from the run and get the most out of a sport you can do anywhere with almost no kit!

Matt you are totally right - stretch LOTS - and not just that but hydrate and enjoy!!

don't walk - thats another good tip, I always find that if I stop running and walk, I'll never start running again and that is training over - would just rather go to a slower pace!

Next up on the training plan is the longest run I've done - it says to do 4 miles at an easy pace, aiming to do that in 40 minutes, (1mile:10minutes) think that's reasonable. On the plus side, all this running is doing wonders for my CV and also my weight!! Lost another couple of lbs this week! :D
    It's been a while...
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    mea00csf wrote:
    Graydawg wrote:

Don't be tempted to push too hard too quickly if you're not used to running, you WILL injure yourself. Gradual increases in speed and distance is the way to go.

Been building up to half marathon (from 10k) for the past 3 months and STILL managed to injure myself, physio says mainly from building up too quickly and not giving the muscles times to adapt. Got my first full distance run this weekend, i'm a little scared! Managed 19km in just under 2hours last weekend, which i'm really happy with tho

WHS No more than 10% extra each week. Having put myself out of action due to overtraining, trust me when I say that it is SO frustrating to make huge improvements, then lose it due to pushing yourself too hard.

mea00csf: Just remember not to start out too fast!
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    since it was raining i went to gym and jumped on treadmill for the 1st time in 4 months since i broke my foot
    i had a slow start which is dumb when going for time, my goal was to do it in 21 mins, but after the 1st km i was 35 seconds down, so then i dug deep and did a fast 2km and slowed it down for half km then went for a strong finish
    final time 5km/20:15
    i was well happy cos aint run in ages, not bad for a man with a 24.6 BMI :wink:
    without the slow start i could have done sub 20, but it gives me something to aim for next time, tell ya what its a good heart raising workout, especially if ya jump on the Xtrainer after and do the same on there!
    i would prefer to do cv on my bike but when it rains i prefer the gym!
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Surf-Matt
    Nice one rhyko - I have no idea how treadmill runs "translate" into normal runs but that's a good time by any standard.

I have a BMI of 24.8 - it doesn't really matter. Most recent run was "Meet Your Max" - an incredibly technical (tree stumps, 105 steep steps, streams, tonnes of hills, etc) 10.6km and was running against lots of proper skinny club runners - managed 10th out of 150. Best so far (not in a tri) has been 5th out of 700 - all been off road.

Assume the foot is now healed then? I love running in the rain :D
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i find on a treadmill run i am normally about 10 seconds slower than what i would on a road, i think this is due to the rest spots you get running on the road as your going downhill.
    do you ever do offroad duathlons?
    i did a relay one last year where i did the mountain bike part-the terrain was rubbish, was mostly fields and people used cyclocross bikes, to me thats not mountain biking!
    i have been trying to find an interesting fun race to take part in, something with technical terrain i would enjoy most (i dont do swimming so no triathlons)
    how often do you train Matt? do you follow a strict regime or just enjoy training?
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Surf-Matt
    Only done an off road tri which had VERY technical MTBing - it was superb fun (and managed to win the Sprint section.... :wink: ). I do loads of surfing so am used to swimming in open water - lots of good pool swimmers had a nightmare because the swim was in the sea with a force 6-7 wind blowing!

There was a duathlon down here but it seems to have been postponed this year.

Just train for fun - do the odd race here and there (about 6 in two years) but not a full on racer.

It's very hard to find off road fun races hence getting a road bike recently - some tris seem to have open water swims (I HATE pool swimming!), road bike section then off road runs.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Wow, ok, until now I had no idea what was a good time for a 5Km run.

I did the Race for Life (5Km) last weekend, in my usual 'I hate running, no training but just going for it' fashion, and did it in 27 minutes :D

Feeling quite pleased with myself now 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • TarkMalbot
    TarkMalbot Posts: 181
    I know its not the same but I did 5K in 24 mins on the treadmill yesterday to work out what my pace/fitness is for the training program on runners world. I have 12 weeks to train for a 1/2 Marathon. No idea what pace to run at though so just going to follow the program.
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    mea00csf wrote:
    10k in 33 minutes is very fast.

What's really depressing is when you work out that your best 5k time is a slower pace than the elites run full marathons at.... :shock: :lol:

2h15m marathon (Radcliffes WR) is the same pace as a 16minute 5k :?

Thats crazy!!!

And i thought my 3miles in 23 mins was good haha
  • I got the urge to run again a couple of weeks ago and did a local 5k race. I was bike fit but had'nt run for months, just scraped under 25mins. Daft thing was I could hardly walk for a week afterwards!!
    Convinced me to stick to biking now.
    I was a sub 33mins 10k runner back in the 80's before turning to fell running.
    Steve (refusing to grow old gracefully)