Coccyx Pain!!!

timmy13
timmy13 Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
I'm new to road cycling (though not cycling in general) having just bought a Specialized Allez Double. I usually MTB so am used to nice fat tyres/full suspension but with my skinny, rock solid tyres I've developed a bit of a coccyx ache (i have layed off the road for a bit and it got better). Unfortunately, I now need my bike for work! The only solution I've found so far is wearing two pairs of shorts, but I was thinking of a suspension seat post? Obviously, I'm not hugely fast or really bothered by performance..... :wink:

Comments

• bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Something is wrong with the set up, unless you have bruised yourself before and now feeling it. Assuming you have got the right frame size, perhaps the saddle is too far forward and you are sitting on the narrow bit of the saddle?

Just think about what is being supported when you are going along - it should be your seat bones and you should not be moving around in the saddle at all. If you are moving side to side, then the post is set too high.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I can't see how a 'normal' riding position would lead to inflammation of the coccyx - unless of course we're talking about the wrong part of the anatomy? Start by making sure your seat height and saddle position are optimised for you - plenty of online resources to help - typically saddle should be level, or slightly tilted forward. You should be sitting on the bony protuberances on the underside of your pelvis
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Give your coccyx plenty of rest - a year off the saddle. Or use this saddle if you want to continue cycling:
    http://www.sellesmp.com/en/avant.htm

Cost from £30 to £200.
  • Crezor
    Crezor Posts: 9
    Grandma took a little spill at the sand dunes today. Broke her coccyx.