Maximum load for tyres

flester
flester Posts: 464
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Schwalbe gives a max load of 90kg for the City Jet tyre
http://www.schwalbetires.com/product_se ... %5D=559-40

Does this mean the weight of rider plus bike plus luggage can be up to 180kg (as I have two tyres), or only 90kg?

Presumably it's 180 (as they give a rating of 100kg for the Marathon tyre, considered by some to be THE touring tyre.

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')

Comments

• flester
    flester Posts: 464
    I s'pose it's obvious really but this is the answer I got when I emailed Schwalbe:

"Load = Maximum Load in kilograms per tire at maximum pressure, so for the City Jet with a 90kg load rating it can handle 90kg (198 lbs) of load when inflated to max PSI which is 65 PSI. That is per tire, so if you had two tires on your bike at max PSI it would have a total rider/luggage load of just under 400 lbs. "

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    That rather assumes that the weight is evenly distributed between the two tyres. Unless you're very carefull and bung loads in your front panniers, the rear is far more heavily loaded.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    flester said:

I s'pose it's obvious really but this is the answer I got when I emailed Schwalbe:

"Load = Maximum Load in kilograms per tire at maximum pressure, so for the City Jet with a 90kg load rating it can handle 90kg (198 lbs) of load when inflated to max PSI which is 65 PSI. That is per tire, so if you had two tires on your bike at max PSI it would have a total rider/luggage load of just under 400 lbs. "

Yes, holy thread resurrection batman, but just wanted to say thanks for this as it's saved me emailing Schwalbe for the same information!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...