Why no Eurosport Coverage of Monday's Stage?

timdanaher
timdanaher Posts: 120
edited July 2009 in Pro race
On Monday, you've got swimming instead. On tuesday morning highlights of Sunday's stage. Is it because it goes through Italy? Some sort of TV rights thing?

Same situation here in Germany.

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Maybe cos it's a rest day?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    Rest day on Monday, therefore the highlights on Tuesday are from the previous stage, rather than the previous day's stage.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    Its a rest day isnt it??
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Monday is a rest day
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Hmm, it's the same here on British Eurosport. Is it on the Eurosport player?
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    dunno maybe its played behind closed doors with the result of the stage remaining a secret?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • timdanaher
    timdanaher Posts: 120
    Shit, sorry... the TdF site doesn't list any rest days... just runs all the stages together.

TWO rest days? Blimey, back in my day...jumpers for goalposts, mm, isn't it?
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    First we had to wait 1/2 hour to watch the highlites because there was some second-rate no-hopers playing a game of tennis that only 4 people in the world were interested in (including the players and umpire), then last night, instead of watching the worlds greatest bike race, we were subjected to 45 mins of blokes standing around for 10 minutes at a time then running a bit, then standing around again at some athletics non-event.

Come on Eurosport, show some respect for us cycling fans otherwise I'll take my business elsewhere, or not!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    TimDanaher wrote:
    TWO rest days? Blimey, back in my day...jumpers for goalposts, mm, isn't it?

IIRC it was one of the measures that was introduced after the '98 Festina affair that helped eradicate doping to make cycling into the clean sport that it is today.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Yeah Im really shocked and pee'd off with Eurosport that they didnt cover Monday's stage... I couldnt find coverage anywhere... Maybe a French strike :lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Actually it was a rest day.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yes - we all know it's a rest day. But why is there no COVERAGE of the cyclists resting!!?? :roll:
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    LOL
    cartoon.jpg
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Pokerface wrote:
    Yes - we all know it's a rest day. But why is there no COVERAGE of the cyclists resting!!?? :roll:

Certaintly! I wanted to see thorty or forty riders majorly resting
    www.dotcycling.com
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Actually impressed by Versus this year. On the rest day they actually had TDF highlights running all day long! They're been amazing this year, showing every stage and even letting it run over other shows if the stage goes longer (that is a new thing for them).

And it's paying off. This year, the viewership is up 83% over last year and even 18% over 2005 (Lance's last year)!
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    Think the rest day could possibly have been more exciting to watch than some of the actual stages weve had :lol:
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Surely they could televise the Etape du Tour on Manday? RAI did it with the Maratona this year. :D
  • Surely this is a perfect opportunity for a real breakaway - while the rest of the peleton is resting. It could be a chance for Kenny Van Hummel to establish a 22 hour lead in the GC.
  • grandad3 wrote:
    Think the rest day could possibly have been more exciting to watch than some of the actual stages weve had :lol:

Haven't nearly all the stages been rest days this year?! ':wink:'
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens