%VO2max for TT

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
What sort of percentage of my VO2max could I expect to maintain during a 10 mile TT?

I know my VO2max and my power at VO2max from a study I volunteered for and I'm just trying to work out what sort of time I can hope for when I finally get round to doing a TT.

Ta.
More problems but still living....

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    110%
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • amaferanga
    Thanks. Very helpful.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    i was being serious.
    vo2 max = maximum amount of oxygen your lungs can process in 1 min.
    in a 10 mle tt ,your preformance is primerily restricked by the amount of oxygen your lungs can process. so you should be running at max vo2.
    now with my own experience of lab tests, does`nt matter how hard you try i the lab, you`ll always go quicker with a number on your back. so i rekon a 110% is about right.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • sub55 wrote:
    i was being serious.
    vo2 max = maximum amount of oxygen your lungs can process in 1 min.
    in a 10 mle tt ,your preformance is primerily restricked by the amount of oxygen your lungs can process. so you should be running at max vo2.
    now with my own experience of lab tests, does`nt matter how hard you try i the lab, you`ll always go quicker with a number on your back. so i rekon a 110% is about right.
    I trust you aren't actually being serious.

By definition it is not possible to consume oxygen at a rate higher than our VO2 Max.

Secondly, we can only sustain an effort (at VO2 Max) for a handful of minutes, 5 or 6 maybe, a fraction longer for some exceptional athletes. I don't know anyone who can ride a 10-mile TT in 5 or 6 minutes.

During a well paced 10-mile TT we would range from ~75-90% of VO2 Max on average, and often reaching VO2 Max in the latter stages of the effort.
  • amaferanga
    Thanks Alex, that's what I wanted to know.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maybe Sub 55 is getting confused with Threshold HR/Power?
  • amaferanga
    Another (maybe dumb) question - would 75% VO2max equate roughly to me cycling at 75% of my power at VO2max?

EDIT: Yes a daft question. Is there any way to work out your power output at 75% VO2max or does it need to be measured during the VO2max test?
  • amaferanga wrote:
    Another (maybe dumb) question - would 75% VO2max equate roughly to me cycling at 75% of my power at VO2max?
    Not necessarily. Problem is that VO2 Max can be induced at a range of powers. And even though we might be at VO2 Max, at such power levels we are more than likely also utilising some of our anaerobic work capacity and hence one can't automatically know what proportion of power is from aerobic and anaerobic metabolism.

In some cases, the relationship between them can be estimated by examining the power meter file of a well paced individual pursuit effort.
    amaferanga wrote:
    EDIT: Yes a daft question. Is there any way to work out your power output at 75% VO2max or does it need to be measured during the VO2max test?
    Yes, but you also need to know your gross efficiency level, which can be estimated from such a test.

In essence, if you are measuring power, then knowing your VO2 isn't really all that practically helpful.