are there any long hills near brighton?

jimycooper
jimycooper Posts: 740
the bigest hills i train on are, the beacon, styning bostal and devils dyke.

these are all relitivly short and sharp climbs. and the question is are there any longer climbs around brighton?

this is one for locals i suppose...

thanks in advance

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    There is nothing much longer that I can think of very close to Brighton.

Firle Beacon / Bostal is longer than DB.

Depending on how near Brighton the climbs need to be, there are a couple of long drags around Uckfield & Crowborough. All in a small area there is:

B2026 (heading North) from Maresfield through Duddleswell (approx 3 miles)
    B2026 (heading South) from Hartfield (2.5 miles)
    B2188 from Friars Gate (Black Hill) (2 miles).

They are obviously not as steep as the climbs you mentioned, as the height gained is only about the same, but they are longer!
  • How long is long? Otherwise, Ditchling Beacon as described above or some of the drags on the A259 from Cuckmere and then over Beachy Head down into Eastbourne and then back onto Beachy Head. None of these are particularly long in my book but it is pretty much Hobson's Choice where few hills exceed a height of 600ft in the south east.

Depending upon how far you want to travel, an absolute stonker can be found just beyond Hastings. Battery Hill provides a a fairly hard a long climb from Pett Level, up to Fairlight Church.
  • jimycooper
    thanks guys, but all of those climbs are a bit far for me to ride out, do them once or twice and then ride back.
  • Puzzler
    Puzzler Posts: 73
    jimycooper wrote:
    thanks guys, but all of those climbs are a bit far for me to ride out, do them once or twice and then ride back.

Well, cant help too much then unless you stay within Brighton.
    Wilsons Avenue in Kemptown is a reasonable drag, used in the Tour many years ago, Falmer Road from Rottingdean up to the Downs Hotel is another.
  • Climb up to Truleigh Hill Youth Hostel from Upper Shoreham Road, you'll see the "brown" YHA sign post Near Erringham Road. Not steep just an uphill drag to the top of the Downs. Davy
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Climb up to Truleigh Hill Youth Hostel from Upper Shoreham Road, you'll see the "brown" YHA sign post Near Erringham Road. Not steep just an uphill drag to the top of the Downs. Davy
    And then you have to turn around and come back down again - good for just going up and down again and again for hill training, pretty useless to add as part of a route :wink:
  • jimycooper
    yeh, i had a look on google maps, and it goes over a stone path to devils dyke, or a road down to somewhere unfimiliar in hove :shock: :?