Training with the pros (sort of)

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
Anyone else get their bike onto the rollers/turbo trainer and pedal along whilst watching a race? I've done it so far this year with Paris-Roubaix, a couple of stages of the Tour of the Basque Country and the Tour du Haut Var.

When they hit a difficult section - a hill, cobblestones or an intermediate sprint - I go hard, and then drop back to a moderate pace when they're on the flat.

I've got the afternoon off work today, so I'm doing it on the Tour de France. Should be fun!

Comments

• bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    Hmmmm, I used to do this but when I switched to training on rollers I had to stop as I nearly fell off while trying to lean into the decents. Not good
  • finchy
    bombdogs wrote:
    Hmmmm, I used to do this but when I switched to training on rollers I had to stop as I nearly fell off while trying to lean into the decents. Not good
    :D :shock:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    how's this for a novel concept - why not ride your pushbike on real roads in the open air..?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have to use the turbo if I want to train sometimes because the mrs is at work and I have the kids.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    softlad wrote:
    how's this for a novel concept - why not ride your pushbike on real roads in the open air..?

cos you cant see the telly then.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • bombdogs wrote:

:lol: Quality!!
  • finchy
    softlad wrote:

How's this for a novel concept - shut the **** up. :lol:

Just joking ya. I do occasionally stick my head out of the door you know, but I like to do a bit of roller training every now and then, and why not mix it in with watching a bit of cycling?
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have to use the turbo if I want to train sometimes because the mrs is at work and I have the kids.

I know the feeling, which is why im considering getting a turbo as at the moment im using a York 2950HP exercise bike!
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond