New Bike but what one?

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Here is the deal:

I live just north of Glasgow.

I used to cycle a lot on a road bike after work and enjoyed it. However, that slowly decresed as traffic increased.

Bought a MTB - Kona Caldera and started enjoying the smaller roads, combined with off road tracks and trails that abound north of Glasgow. Moved to a new office and now commute to work - its 7.5 miles. Have fitted the Kona with thinish tyres - Citijet 1.75.

Looking for a new bike now, mainly for the commute but able to do some canal paths and other lightish off road stuff, as I vary my commute home.

Was thinking about Kona Dr Dew, as 1. Have really liked the Kona I have, 2. Like the more rugged feel of the flat bars (bar ends fitted) 3. Think it puts less pressure on back.

Remember I am a previous road cyclist so I know the advantages of drop bars.

Any comments or suggestions?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• If I were you I would be looking at cyclocross would do everything you want of it, if you like Kona, have a look at the Kona Jake.
  • Wallace1492
    Cheers Colin, looks a good bike, never considered a cyclocross, but seems a good option.
    I take it they can withstand hard knocks slightly better than road bikes?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Road bikes can withstand hard knocks just fine (unless they're carbon fibre, in which case an angry glare can cause them to shatter into a thousand pieces). Road bikes are, however, pretty rubbish off road because of the tyres.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Cheers Colin, looks a good bike, never considered a cyclocross, but seems a good option.
    I take it they can withstand hard knocks slightly better than road bikes?
    Yep. I have a Kona Jake the Snake (last years model) which has done over 4000miles of which half has been off road of the type you describe.

Only problems I've had have all been parts wearing out (new BB, chain, brake pads).

I did have to retrue the Aksium wheels once but since then they have been fine so I'm more that willing to put that down to the machine at the factory not getting the build quite right.

Mike
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    how would you feel about building up your own, and what is your budget?
  • Wallace1492
    Budget is not fixed but up to about £800 is not out of the question.
    Not a keen builder of bikes, not really mechanically minded, can do small repairs but would prefer to buy "off the shelf".

LBS does servicing for me and I prefer to have an expert look over my steed.

Just can't seem to decide between a sports hybrid, cyclocross (which sounds possibly ideal) and a road bike, bottom of list is road bike as I will be doing some light off road.
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    Go for a cyclocross. I would have done if I could afford it but unfortunately I couldn't so it had to be a hybrid. Most hybrids by their very nature are a compromise, neither very good off road or on road, just ok at both.
  • u01akrg
    u01akrg Posts: 24
    The difference between a road bike and a cyclocross bike is mainly the wheel clearance and the brakes being more like that of a mountain bike. I know a guy that can ride a cyclocross course on a roadbike (on slick skinnies, thru sand!!). The extra clearance makes it easier to fit mudguards if you're into that kind of thing.

Have done the 22 mile commute from Ayrshire to Glasgow (up the old A77) on a cyclocross bike fitted with skinny slicks. Did the trick fine - even when the road was iced up in winter It has a more upright sitting postition too, which was more comfortable with the backpack I had to carry.

Plus you get to fit off road tyres and go mental! :D
  • Wallace1492
    Thanks for replies, will probaby go for cyclecross and see what that does.
    Must be a lot faster than my hardtail even with road tyres, they are great, but still get taken out a lot on the commute. Plus, it will probably help me shave some time off next years Rob Roy Challenge!!