Tandems for a World Tour

samyarwood
samyarwood Posts: 8
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
My girlfriend and I are tentatively planning a world tour on bikes and, for a variety of reasons, we think we might like to do it on a tandem. I have a few of questions, so here goes:

Obviously we need a touring tandem, and I'm thinking one with a heavy lean towards off-road (places like Kyrgyzstan aren't known for their tarmac).

1) Does anybody have any recommendations for such a machine, either off-the-shelf, or custom built?

2) I've come across MSG Bikes, who look like they might be able to do well priced, well speced custom bikes. Does anyone have any experience of these builders?

3) Has anybody done a similar trip? Where did you go? Any hot tips? Would it be a lot more sensible on single bikes?!

Cheers,

Sam

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    1) Custom built for this one. That way you won't compromise

2) Take spare tyres (for the wheels :wink::lol: ) as heavily loaded you are likely to burst a few.

3) Make sure you have decent brakes

4) Take spares for anything that might break and is non standard/ or have them at home with someone who can fedex/whatever them to you wherever you happen to be.

5) it might be more sensible on single bikes, but if you were the sensible sort you wouldn't be embarking on this expotition.
  • will3
    PS you might also try JD cycles and SJS (thorn) for your bike, they're both tandem oriented companies.
    Make sure you try the bike for fit!
  • Thanks for the suggestions Will. I think you're right, it's got be a custom build.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Choosing a tandem is a good move. I think that unless you're very evenly matched in ability riding single bikes fully loaded on a big tour will invariably lead to some sort of resentment on one side. On a tandem it's a team effort all the way and means you can chat as you go along whatever the traffic is like.

The only downside is the lack of luggage space. I use a Bob Yak which works very well. The only problem is finding somewhere to park the rig (about 4m long).

I used a Thorn Explorer for 7000 miles around Europe and found it very well made and very tough (for impromtu off-road sections). That's the bottom of the Thorne range so for what you're planning I'd look to spend a bit more but SJS/Thorne should definitely be on your list.
  • will3
    I agree that a trailer has huge benefits on the tandem. We used a Carry freedom y-large, which is a two wheeled affair. People will tell you that these are not so good off road, but TBH I've never had a problem. They have the advantage that they are stable and much easier to manouvre than a monowheel when detatched from the bike. Also if loaded correctly they don't excert much load on your rear wheel, which on a tandem is quite well loaded already.

Our touring tandem is based on a cheapish mtb style tandem with most parts upgraded or changed. It's just about adequate for the job, but the v brakes leave something to be desired with our combined weight + camping gear. They also heat the rims to scary hot tyre melting temperatures.

HAve to agree with El Gordo about the team thing, just make sure you do a fair bit of tandem riding before you set off if you're new to it as there;s a bit of a learing curve for both captain and stoker and you have to agree on things like cadence!
  • will3
    PS, I'd say if you can master climbing with both of you out of the saddle on a tandem, you've pretty much got the team thing licked!
  • Good stuff El Gordo & Will. I hadn't even thought of a trailer. Despite being a bit of a purist, I like the idea of trundling around the world on a 4m long rig!

I have a little tandem experience (and even some triplet experience! They're bloody fast, in case you were wondering!), but we'll definitely aim to get some practice in, and we'll probably get the bike 4-6 months before we leave. To be honest, the team element of a tandem is the main reason we thought of it, so while single bikes would be easier in practical terms, I think we'll stick with two saddles and two wheels.

As for brakes, I was thinking discs, but cable-actuated rather than hydraulic, for repair-in-the-field based reasons!

Umm, stupid question, wouldn't a two-wheeled trailer rock from wheel to wheel or swerve from side to side when you're out of the saddle?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If your tour is likely to include flights then you might need to get S and S couplings. I don't think many airlines will carry a tandem otherwise.

Have you considered two 'normal' bikes with a trailer such as a Bob Yak, plus panniers for both bikes? Then the stronger rider could tow the trailer to eaven things out a bit. If you got matching bikes then you'd still be a team :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    It's just about possible to get a tandem on a plane without S&S couplers. I flew to NZ with mine packed in a cardboard box - wheels, mudguards, rack and pedals taken off, bars turned round. It was a huge box but BA took it for free! If you're planning on using a few flights though I think S&S are the way to go.

Don't let silly notions practicality and sense get in the way of making the right choice. Tandems are just great fun. They're desperately slow up hills and blindingly quick down the other side. They attract a lot of attention, especially with a trailer, but that's part of the fun (usually).

I've never tried a two wheeled trailer but chose a single wheel on the basis that it would avoid the same potholes that the bike does and having it lean with the bike seemed inherentley more stable. I guess you get used to a two wheeler and I agree it must be easier to move around unattached (although I rarely take mine off).

And finally, brakes. We've got only V-brakes on ours and I think they are only just adequate. Fully loaded on a long alpine decsent the rims get scarilly hot. Although I've never had a problem I think in hindisght a drag brake would've been a good decsion (I was a bit tight, weight obsessive, young and reckless when I bought the bike). I don't know about discs on a tandem. It seems like a lot of torsional stress to put through a wheel but maybe that's not a problem.
  • daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    speaking for myself, I would probably get tetchy so close to someone 24/7 on a tandem - it's sometimes good for everyone to have some time alone on a long trip. The stronger rider hauling more weight is a popular plan; makes good sense. Just my twopenneth!
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • will3
    samyarwood wrote:

Umm, stupid question, wouldn't a two-wheeled trailer rock from wheel to wheel or swerve from side to side when you're out of the saddle?

Nope, the CF ones are rock steady (and they're on a sort of universal joint so the bike can lean independantly)

info here:
    http://www.carryfreedom.com/info.html

and here:

http://www.carryfreedom.com/downloads/T ... cience.pdf

which although from Carry freedom is suprisingly unbiased.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I'd strongly recommend contacting the Tandem Club to get some practical advice. They have an excellent magazine (I edited it once upon a time :)) Lots of their members have experience of extended trips all over the world.

I would also recommend contacting JD Cycles in Ilkley. We're thinking of starting tandemming again and spooke to them at the recent York CTC Rally. They seem very helpful and offer test rides. They also stock a range of manufacturer's products including their own Orbit brand which I'm sure they'd be happy to supply with components of your choice.

I'd also suggest you seriously consider a trailer. One of the reasons we used solos for cycle camping was because we felt 2 people and camping gear is a lot of weight to put on one pair of wheels for an extended trip. Our only experience of using a trailer was when we cycled across Holland to Germany (Laarbruck) where my brother was stationed in the RAF one Easter. It was a Bike-Hod which worked OK on the flattish roads but something better would be needed for anything more serious IMO.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • butterfly
    butterfly Posts: 863
    Go to JD Cycles. They're brilliant. Let you test ride everything and really helpful :D
    There will be good days and there will be bad days, and THIS is one of them.
  • Lots of really good advice here guys, thanks. Getting excited planning it all now.....
  • Also check out Pete Bird @ The Tandem Shop in Ironbridge, Shropshire. huge knowledge of 30 years and the designer of the Landescape Tandems which have launched a european Landescape this year