New toy!

Ozzeh
Ozzeh Posts: 12
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
I have a mixed commute to either Cambridge or London which usually requires some train action so I've bought myself a folder. I've never really been a fan of them but I've fallen for this one:

http://www.dahon.com/us/muuno.htm

I picked it up on Tuesday having taken it out for a spin and it's blooming marvellous. I do 2 miles to the station in the morning and then either 3 or 4 miles to the office depending on whether it's London or Cambridge and I reckon it's just about perfect.

Single speed takes some getting used to, as does the back pedal brake as you have to think ahead before stopping at lights or you find yourself in a position where you need to shuffle yer pedals around and potentially irritate drivers. I didn't realise quite how often I back pedalled whilst filtering through to lights before, but I'm getting there and haven't face planted into a bus. Yet :)

I think it might be a little undergeared at the minute and I regularly find myself spinning like a loon on the flat, but I'm a lazy fat bugger so I'll get used to the gear I've got on the small hills I have to ride [1] before I consider dropping a tooth.

I've added mudguards, ditched the front brake (pivot brake, completely useless) and will be going to clipless pedals soon as the folding flats are slippery shite. I just think I want to get used to the back pedal brake first or I'm going to be landing on my face quite often ;)

If anyone is in the market for a lightweight, simple, fun folder then so far I can heartily recommend it.

[1] Pentonville Road/City Road today had me panting so I really do need to MTFU :)

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    A back pedal brake? Is this the mythical coaster brake I hear about?

(could you stick a proper brake on the front wheel? I would be afraid just having one, strange, brake)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    It has a coaster brake? Interesting....

How wide is the axle?

Looks a great little bike!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It looks great, and a fantastic idea, but I'm not sure I'd like to ride with just a rear brake given that the front brake accounts for about 70% of your total stopping power.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    They are interesting bikes, but I think overpriced for what you get. Glad you like it though! Might be a good idea to join the Dahon.com forums- a good way to get answers to any specific questions you might have.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm with Rich in that not having any sort of front brake is pretty stupid, and very possibly dangerous unless you ride everywhere reasonably slowly. I also thought a bike needed to have two independent mechanical braking systems to be road legal in the UK?

It is however, a rather cool looking little machine.