Chapeau Millar!!

Angus444
Angus444 Posts: 141
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Good effort from DM today. Didn't think he could hold on and win, but respect for him blasting away and keeping it exciting. :)

Comments

• adeyboy
    adeyboy Posts: 113
    Indeed, great effort and a damn shame
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Great effort- he nearly did it :)

Not much of consolation but he got the most combatitive rider award for today.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It was worth trying and he came close, but the long wide boulevards of Barcelona did it for him.

The TV coverage alone of Garmin will go along way, teams value the publicity even a doomed move can bring. But Millar's a sportsman and would have dearly wanted the win. I suspect he'll have his chance again, he's in good shape. His climbing abilities were impressive in the Dauphiné so it'll be interesting to see how he does in the hillier stages.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Just seen highlights on ITV4 and was willing him to win and shouting "Go on David" at t'telly but it made no difference... God of Thunder went for the sprint really early - too early for Cav who was a bit too far back in the bunch , but also seems to favour shorter faster sprints anyway. If Cav could have got to the front earlier perhaps Columbia would have been able to raise the pace too high for anyone else to get away which would allow Cav to get the win again... or maybe they weren't after the win today?

It seems a really exciting tour so far this year. A big scary Astana wave is building up behind the leader though - I don't think Cancellara will hold off the Astana Tsunami much longer!
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    Agreed, Millar did really well for those last, wot nearly 20km. Was gripped in me armchair and willing him on as was the wife.

I hope he has another go and succeeds, nearly in yellow there.
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    chapeaux au loin, bet he would have done it if he was still on the gear :wink:
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Absolutely heroic effort! Yelled myself silly willing him towards the finish line! Appreciated Hinault's hand-on-heart gesture to DM too.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Brilliant gutsy effort, I accidentally found out the result before watching the highlights :x so I knew he wasn't going to win, but it didn't stop me yelling COME ON MILLAR! at the telly in the last few km's.

This tour is brilliant :D
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    Unfortunately I happened across today's result via the BBC website this afternoon. Didn't stop me watching the V-plussed race though and willing him on from the 10k marker. Garmin have guts, there's no denying that.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Blonde wrote:
    God of Thunder went for the sprint really early - too early for Cav who was a bit too far back in the bunch , but also seems to favour shorter faster sprints anyway. If Cav could have got to the front earlier perhaps Columbia would have been able to raise the pace too high for anyone else to get away which would allow Cav to get the win again... or maybe they weren't after the win today? !

I think it's pretty clear that a lot of the advantage Cavendish has in the sprints is to aerodynamic, rather than simply power, so when the road isn't flat, he simply doesn't have the power to stay with the other sprinters.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/