Rear-ended!

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
No, he wasn't in a car, no, I'm not dead.

Pootling through heavy traffic on Acton high street this morning, and stopped at a roadworks-related red light.

Heard a screeching of bike brakes behind me, and turned to look just as a bloke dressed like he thought he was P-Diddy on a BSO full susser crashed into my rear wheel!

I, understandably, was rather surprised, he was rather rude and defensive - a marked contrast to the driver who unwittingly took me out a while ago. I said something along the lines of 'what the hell' to which is response was 'yeah well I ain't got good brakes you should of got out the way innit and everyone goes through red lights anyway.' [sic].

I responded that if he hasn't got good brakes he should be a lot more careful, and was told to 'f**k off'. Charming. The light changed and he got into an elbows-high aero tuck on his full susser and span up to his top speed, and as I accelerated he pulled in about 3cm in front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes.

Whether or not that was intentional, I don't know, but he still got a 'c*cks*cker' from me as I passed him.

Fortunately the impact was pretty much tyre-to-tyre and there seems to be no damage to my wheel.

What a nice young man. He's doing wonders for cycling.

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    To$$er. You should have smacked him with a pannier.

At least you scalped the fcuker.

Glad no damage was done.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    There's nothing that can be done to help people like that. :?

Glad you scalped him. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Landlocked
    Landlocked Posts: 37
    "you should have got out of my way innit"!!!

was he from "da hood"??

you should remember to get out of his way or next time he'll bust a cap in you....

:roll:

he'll end up under a car no doubt.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    What a moron (to put it mildly!). Admirable restraint under the circumstances.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    That is ludicrous, mostly as something similar without the impact happened to me a few weeks back. Some people make us cyclists seem like c*cksuckers just because they are.
    I'm glad there isn't any damage to you or bike there.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Something through his front wheel would have been good as you scalped him or just empty a drinks bottle over him because he isn't going to catch you.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Heard a screeching of bike brakes behind me, and turned to look just as a bloke dressed like he thought he was P-Diddy on a BSO full susser crashed into my rear wheel! .

424843244hamFkl_ph.jpg

Muppets - you can't legislate for em. Glad you and the bike are OK :)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Muppets - you can't legislate for em. Glad you and the bike are OK :)
    Pesky Human Rights laws.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Mmmmm

This kind of thing annoys me.

Glad to hear that your bike is OK though LiTs.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    I don't know that it really counts as a scalp, seeing as he was on a full-susser.

And yes, evolution will get him eventually.

However, this is the second time in as many months that someone's collided with me while I'm stopped.

Must be more vigilant! :?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I don't know that it really counts as a scalp, seeing as he was on a full-susser.

However, this is the second time in as many months that someone's collided with me while I'm stopped.

That's not a statistically significant sample size.

Sorry, I'll take my blunt axe somewhere else. :oops:
  • lost_in_thought

:lol:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I would have paid good money to see you call someone a 'c*cks*cker'! Great abuse!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Sewinman wrote:
    I would have paid good money to see you call someone a 'c*cks*cker'! Great abuse!

there's TV channels and websites for that kind of talk... :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:

To be honest I would have shouted back "your job, surely!?"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Man, I hope next time you see LiT you annoy her sufficiently for this conversation to take place. Do you prefer white or red grapes when we come and visit you in the hospital?
  • lost_in_thought
    Sewinman wrote:

It's my favourite insult for the chavtastic bad boy types, the insinuation of homosexuality seems to really get their backs up.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Man, I hope next time you see LiT you annoy her sufficiently for this conversation to take place. Do you prefer white or red grapes when we come and visit you in the hospital?

Surely a "You wish" retort would be sufficient...

"LiTs rode off, DDD rode off and we lived happily ever after and no one tried to recreate a day in South Central LA...." :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Landlocked wrote:
    "you should have got out of my way innit"!!!

was he from "da hood"??

Course he was - he was from West London, home of Ali G.
    Rearended
    No, he wasn't in a car,.

Started off with promise but turned into a simple tale of a minor bike incident.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    LiT, in future I suggest that you dismount and be prepared to move the bike out of the way of any people who wish to collide with you. :lol:

I'd look at the tube though, just in case of a weird slow pinch flat sort of thing. :P
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Ali G is from Staines. Its a stretch to call that West London.

Oh West London is wonderful...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's always a shame when we are forced to deal with individuals from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Still, at least we are able to take solace in the fact that he will wake up tomorrow and see himself in mirror... the horror... the horror....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Sewinman wrote:
    Ali G is from Staines. Its a stretch to call that West London.

Oh West London is wonderful...

true though there is london and london, out of the area quite a few would use the M25 as a rough border, as you move from SW postcodes though to KT and TW postcodes there isn't really any point that london stops, just becomes less.

oh and Staines is where the Thames used to be tidal to, before all the locks and such.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've had another cyclist run into the back of my bike before (trying not to claim I've been rear ended). She seemed surprised that I'd stopped at the red light as well.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639

Ahem, I have to disagree!

Glad you're OK. Take comfort in the fact that, while it may not be much of a scalp to you, it probably hurt him as much as if you ripped it off with a blunt carving knife....
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I've had another cyclist run into the back of my bike before (trying not to claim I've been rear ended). She seemed surprised that I'd stopped at the red light as well.

never been rear ended, by bike any way. had a few had to stop sharpish as i stop for reds and most yellows.
  • lost_in_thought
    rhext wrote:

Ahem, I have to disagree!

Glad you're OK. Take comfort in the fact that, while it may not be much of a scalp to you, it probably hurt him as much as if you ripped it off with a blunt carving knife....

He was trying. The flat-bar aero tuck never fails to make me giggle.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639

He was trying. The flat-bar aero tuck never fails to make me giggle.

Next time, make sure he can hear you giggle as you glide past!
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    No, he wasn't in a car, no, I'm not dead.

Pootling through heavy traffic on Acton high street this morning, and stopped at a roadworks-related red light.

Heard a screeching of bike brakes behind me, and turned to look just as a bloke dressed like he thought he was P-Diddy on a BSO full susser crashed into my rear wheel!

I, understandably, was rather surprised, he was rather rude and defensive - a marked contrast to the driver who unwittingly took me out a while ago. I said something along the lines of 'what the hell' to which is response was 'yeah well I ain't got good brakes you should of got out the way innit and everyone goes through red lights anyway.' [sic].

I responded that if he hasn't got good brakes he should be a lot more careful, and was told to 'f**k off'. Charming. The light changed and he got into an elbows-high aero tuck on his full susser and span up to his top speed, and as I accelerated he pulled in about 3cm in front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes.

Whether or not that was intentional, I don't know, but he still got a 'c*cks*cker' from me as I passed him.

Fortunately the impact was pretty much tyre-to-tyre and there seems to be no damage to my wheel.

What a nice young man. He's doing wonders for cycling.

What a knobber, Glad your ok though Dave, Get a camera, ID him if you see him again and get your trukcer mates to hunt him down using nothing but hair and CB radios :)
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.