Dalby Forest or Sherwood Pines?

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited July 2009 in Routes
I'm planning a days riding at either Sherwood Pines or Dalby forest on Saturday the 18th of this month.

I've been to the pines a few times before and have always enjoyed it so thought I'd try Dalby for a change.

However...I recently read a thread on here where people have slated it for not having much 'flow' etc.

I like to ride single track type stuff but also enjoy jumps/freeride type stuff if its not too scary!!

Can anyone help with m decision??!

Thanks in advance,

Jay
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    only way your going to find out is to go ride it for yourself, yes some parts are a bit knackered due to heavy traffic it gets but other parts are fine the world cup xc course is good also there are alot old red route trails you can mix in that are not on the maps if you look around or can find someone to show you :wink:.
    I know some people have slated it and said its crap but it can't be that bad if its been awarded the 2010 world cup :!:
    it may not be everybodys cup of tea but then again i was up at glentress last year and had some of their local riders saying they had been and loved it but then i was saying the same about gt
  • ji_
    ji_ Posts: 38
    They are very different. If you know Sherwood, then try Dalby. As said above some of it is excellent and flowy, some an uphill grind, and some very knackered and in need of a fix. It is quite a bit longer than Sherwood (twice the length) and gets very tiring on a HT, due to the rocks and bumpy bits.

The Dixons Hollow freeride park has all the jumps and stuff - again very different to Sherwood, but just as good. Park there, and then the cafes are 2/3rds the way round the red loop.

I personally woudn't bother with the first black option by the way - it is crap. the boardwalk black section is a laugh though, as long as it is dry!
    www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I 'd definitely give Dalby a go - it's much longer/steeper/trickier than anything at Sherwood Pines.
  • JayKingFunk
    JayKingFunk Posts: 411
    Cheers for that people, looks like Dalby it is then!
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • Rory75
    Rory75 Posts: 60
    HI JayKingFunk,

Dalby is great as long as its not hammering with rain. When the route is really wet it eats bikes as most of the route is quite sandy. But it does dry out very quickly. Also remember the £7 entry per car fee. Those are the negatives.

The red route offers 23 miles of mostly single track sections and the sections are quite different to each other. Loads of berms, small drop offs and after each climb there is a reward of a nice flowing desent.

Shame you were not going on the 19th as you could have joined us on a group ride that www.mtbguisborough.ning.com has arranged. If you check out the events page on the www.mtbguisborough.ning.com site there is some pics of the Dalby red route.

Enjoy your ride at Dalby

MTBGuisLogo-1.jpg
  • skulpture
    skulpture Posts: 86
    Rory75 wrote:
    The red route offers 23 miles of mostly single track sections and the sections are quite different to each other. Loads of berms, small drop offs and after each climb there is a reward of a nice flowing desent.

Sounds good to me Jay - Lets have it!