Company Bike Racks

gillyk
gillyk Posts: 7
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
The company that I work for have just moved into a new purpose built factory and the provisions that have been made for cyclists are excellent with one exception - the bike sheds, which are currently not very good at holding your bike, and you can't fit many bikes in them. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent type of rack that we could replace them with? The company are willing to make some further investment, so long as it's not too much! Any suggestions gratefully received!

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Google "Sheffield Stand", these are generally "best practice" in stands. Make sure they don't install "wheelbenders" - the type that you slot the wheel into.

In terms of actual shelters, the companies that sell the stands often make good shelters too, so the Google search should point you in the right direction.

Good luck.
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    Glad someone asked this. I've been dropping hints at my employer about the state of the 'home-made' bike rack at the office. Some local councils provide an initiative to supply racks to companies promoting cycling to work. Unfortunately our council does not provide such an option. I feel the Sheffield Stands are the most effective for the money. I think each one costs about £60 - enough for 2 bikes. Any more than 2 bikes then using D locks could be a problem? On a sunny day we could get 15+ bikes, that's 8(ish) stands and quite a large footprint. Some insurance policies state that the bike must be secured to a solid object, our rack is a free standing rusty thing that makes me quite nervous if I ever had to claim. Money is tight where I work, what would be a good approach to persuade them to shell out £500 for racks and a few more £'s for fitting?
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I was under the impression that companies can claim grants from the government for the promotion of cycling for it's employees, the grants often covers the cost of most of the work.

It might be a good idea to contact your local council, they should have a cycle 'officer' that should be able to advise.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Roastie wrote:
    Google "Sheffield Stand", these are generally "best practice" in stands. Make sure they don't install "wheelbenders" - the type that you slot the wheel into.

In terms of actual shelters, the companies that sell the stands often make good shelters too, so the Google search should point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

If those are the high one - low one - high one that we've got, they're cack - you can't fit two straight bar bikes next to each other as the gap isn't big enough

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    The ones that bolt to the floor and hold a wheel between two metal bars always annoy me. Fine if I'm on a road bike, but I can't get a mountain bike wheel into them.

Sheffield stands work, but aren't the most space effective, and can be annoying if people are inconsiderate with how they place their bikes.

More important (to me) would be that the bike shed itself was secure, and only employees had access to it. CCTV coverage a bonus.
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    On the "not too much" front, if you're located in any of the areas listed on this page, you can get 2 sheffield stands for free (loosely, the "west country" area). I don't know if there are other organisations who do similar in other parts of the country.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    SecretSam wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

Good luck.

If those are the high one - low one - high one that we've got, they're cack - you can't fit two straight bar bikes next to each other as the gap isn't big enough
    Some wheelbenders are the one high one low. Rubbish. What we have here.