Cathkin Braes.

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited July 2009 in XC and Enduro
Looking to get into some XC racing, fun stuff to begin with, not too competitive.

So I went on the ScottishXC website and think I will try and go for the Cathkin Braes Country Park race on the 9th August.

Anyone done it, doing it, know the route, have advice on getting started etc?

Cheers :)

Comments

• cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    hey stoo,

il be there, there are a couple of things you might want to think about before you start racing.

1) race starts- be in the 44th ring front and the 3rd from the easiest ring at the back.
    2) course practice, go there on saturday morning and pre-ride the course if you can. it helps, il probably be there saturday.
    3)hydration- drink plenty from friday onwards
    4) your fitness, and where you want to be in a certain amount of time fitness wise.

SXCs are relaxed and fun, competitive if you want them to be.

i would advise you to race beginners first, then enter mid-way into a new category, whatever you think suits you.

the courses are great. the atmosphere is brilliant. cant wait to see you at cathkin braes, (its the commonwealth games course) in a couple of months time.
  • waynej
    waynej Posts: 56
    I've been looking at this race too.

My brother-in-law and possibly my nephew are thinking about taking part too - the first event for any of us.

Does any one have any experience of the route?
  • Hey i was also thinking about doing this, and since i only live about a 10 minute cycle away i think i have a good place to start since i am a beginner. I havent ridden it yet, but i will come the end of this week when my Commencal Normal Disc gets delivered. I have walked around the area and it looks great to cycle. So i am really looking forward to starting my MTB experience :P
  • Okay so i went for my first couple of rides the other day up at the Braes, in my previous post i said it was about a 10 minute cycle, oh how was i wrong. It took about 35mins as it is all up hill and its a bit of a pain finding a decent way up if you dont want to cycle on the Cathkin Rd as its a 60mph road, so folk are going pretty fast on it. Anyway I think im definatly going to enter the race, i may aswell do it. There are signs all over the place talking about the race. The course will be set up a few days before the actual race so that means you get to test the course. The whole area doesnt seem to bad, there are a few steep climbs which im crap at, since im just new. But apart from that i was comfortable with everthing else, so it should be alright for beginners to experienced riders.

Anyway hope to see everyone there on the day

Chris/Cjb Scotland
  • Sorry to futher post but here is a video of one of the not so steep hills at the Braes, i would have filmed a steeper one further along but it was pretty wet and sketchy.
    Anyways heres the vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB9GeuwsJSc&feature=channel_page

I know its nothing Special but it just shows off what one of the fun hills is like, i will get more videos of the trail at a later date. Also watch how i front endo wheelie down the last two hills haha

Chris/Cjb Scotland