Chamonix roady ideas

paultrueman
paultrueman Posts: 118
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Decided to take the road bike down to Chamonix this august, the time away will be spent mainly climbing/mountaineering, but I really fancy taking in a few cols on my rest days.

Any good ideas for a day out, I was thinking of something along the lines of Train to Martigney, then cycle back to Chamonix over the col forclaz and montets.

Paul

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    There is a thread somewhere in here with exactly your question, try searching for Chamonix.

However, your idea of Martigny and back would be a good ride. Personally, I'd do it into Switzerland rather than the other way (or you could do both). The final descent into Martigny is a belter.

The Chamonix valley is famously isolated, so that is about it, as far as routes in and out go, but there is always the climb up to the Lakes/reservoirs (Lacs d'Emosson?) Haven't done it but it looks fun.

I'm guessing that the MTB stuff there is among the best in the world, if the skiing is anything to go by. Could be a chance to give it a try.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The Forclaz between France and Switzerland (there are 2-3 other Col Forclaz in the greater area) is often quite busy, so not ideal for cyclists unless maybe on a Sunday morning when quieter.
    From Chamonix, I'd rather go to Passy/Sallanches or to Cluses, and plan routes on smaller roads from there (to the south from Passy/Sallanches, to either south or north from Cluses).
    Or you could train to Martigny, then via Mothey re-enter France over the Pas de Morgins. Several routes, with 2-4 passes depending on choice, then bring you to Cluses, by which time you'll have done probably 100-150 km, depending on route chosen, and from where you can then train back to Chamonix.
  • paultrueman
    paultrueman Posts: 118
    like the idea of the ride up to Emmoson,

some good suggestions there, thanks