Basic bike multi tool

delude
delude Posts: 110
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I am after a basic bike multi tool to carry around, so do you think something like this would fit the job?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0437100218

I don't want it to be too big or heavy as I will keep it on me, is there anything else that could be recommended?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Have a look at the Topeak tools, much better quality than the one in your link.

Sometimes a decent multi tool is worth it's weight in gold as it will get you out of a lot of mechanical problems on the trails miles from anywhere, saving a hell of a long walk
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah get a Lezyne or Topeak multi-tool, more expensive but actually work (which is what you'll be wanting when stuck in the middle of nowhere).
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Lezyne are beautifully designed, very compact, work okay but some tools rather short. Topeak, top quality tools (workshop quality), a bit more usable IMHO (I have both, but the Topeak Alien II is the one I take on tours).
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Pedros tool is compact, good value and works well. I've had mine years - check chain reaction.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • mikeage
    mikeage Posts: 150
    Have to say I'd look to spend a little more on a trail tool than that one, cheap allen keys will make a mess of bolts over time and the tool itself will most likely not last too long. If you look around all the usual online bike shops you will find something for around £15-20 that will be a lot better quality, maybe have more functions, never underestimate the importance of an emergency chain tool!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Alien is brilliant, but it's also overkill... You'll most likely never use many of the tools. I highly recommend the Topeak Hexus. It's compact, but still usable, The toolset's really well thought out, not too big, not too small, just things you'll want and use on the trail. Their chain tool is absolutely first class, it's slightly fiddly but it's effective (better than many workshop chain tools!) I don't trust the tyre levers, they do seem very flimsy and my wheels make tyre changes tough work so I do carry seperates, I like a little more leverage than any multitool offers. All in all a brilliant tool.

Lezyne make lovely tools too but I think Topeak edge them out just because of experience, Lezyne are well designed but Topeak are well evolved. Lezyne's stuff is generally more clever but not always as easy to use.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • LAW4778
    LAW4778 Posts: 232
    +1 for the Hexus top quality parts, i have used a lot of tools in the 15 years i have been doing my profession and it really is true you get what you pay for it really is worth spending as much as you can afford on tools as they will out perform/last all the cheap alternatives.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Got a Lezyne Stainless 19 - does everything except have pliers/wire cutters.
    Light too.
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Got a Lezyne Stainless 19 - does everything except have pliers/wire cutters.
    Light too.

Same here, it is a very sexy piece of kit. I like the way the tools come out of the middle of the pivot and not at an angle.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    Park tools ibeam, is a great tool, if you just want a small one..if you want lots of tool options then topeak is your best bet
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    i have the topeak alien II...very good quality and got me out of a few problems. i have also used it to build the majority of my new bike with no problems either.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    +1 for the hexus, mine has never let me down . cheap multitools have. whats a few extra £s

5xcr
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days
  • delude
    delude Posts: 110
    Wow, thanks guys! I will be taking a serious look at what everyone recommended before buying :)
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    The easiest way to decide is to make a list of the tools and sizes you need for your bike. Then select the multi-tool that includes the most but doesn't have any you don't need.