Bike mount for Nokia N95 using Sports Tracker

RockingDad
RockingDad Posts: 239
Afternoon (or morning / evening of your reading this post later)

I've just put Nokia sports tracker on my N95 and was looking into mounting on the bike to ensure good GPS locking. Does anyone else mount their phone on their bike for this sort of purpose and if so what do you use? I'm looking at ebay item number 280359171790

Is Nokia sports tracker accurate (i'd probably use my cycle comp to compare but the app offers more tools).

Cheers

RockignDad
2010 Carrera Fury
1992 Raleigh Equipe

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I run Sports Tracker on my N96. I find it to be very accurate, and a very good tool for free!
    I don't use a bracket, just switch it on and pop it in to my rear pocket... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I've found sports tracker works quite well (on N95 and now 5800) but is not always that accurate - watching it jumping around while I waited at the lights the other day was quite instructive. On the move it does seem quite good though. My favourite use was while on holiday last year - I could go out running or cycling in any direction that took my fancy and just make sure that the route headed back to where I started when I'd had enough!
    I bought a mount for £5 off ebay for the 5800, so far it's only fallen off once - and that despite the heavy duty elastic band I have to hold it together: in short not an impressive piece of kit & I'm just glad the phone wasn't damaged.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    bompington wrote:
    I've found sports tracker works quite well (on N95 and now 5800) but is not always that accurate - watching it jumping around while I waited at the lights the other day was quite instructive. On the move it does seem quite good though. My favourite use was while on holiday last year - I could go out running or cycling in any direction that took my fancy and just make sure that the route headed back to where I started when I'd had enough!
    I bought a mount for £5 off ebay for the 5800, so far it's only fallen off once - and that despite the heavy duty elastic band I have to hold it together: in short not an impressive piece of kit & I'm just glad the phone wasn't damaged.

I used sportstracker in my car a few months back for a giggle and it worked fine....not sure about having the slider opened whilst riding though....seems like a recipe for disaster.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    bompington wrote:

I used sportstracker in my car a few months back for a giggle and it worked fine....not sure about having the slider opened whilst riding though....seems like a recipe for disaster.
    5800 solves that one (touch screen candybar design), I've even got a high tech solution for wet weather - put it in a polybag, the touch screen still works fine.
    One snag with the touch screen is that the controls for zooming on the maps / graphs don't work, as they rely on keypresses - there is a newer version of sports tracker out there but I can't get it to work yet.
  • I use the N95, generally in my back pocket. However, if I do want to see it when riding, I use the mount part of a car mounting kit zip-tied onto the handlebars with the phone secured with an elastic band! Bit heath robinson, but its much smaller than the ebay article you're looking at!
  • srizvi1
    srizvi1 Posts: 1
    I wouldn't mind getting a bike mount for my N95 8gb (for use w/ the Trek 7000 I purchased earlier this year). What I like to do are take pictures too every now and then while I'm riding. The cool thing about Sports tracker is that when you share your workout, it uploads the pictures too.

Does anyone know of any accessory that would make this easier? I'm always scared I'm going to drop the phone
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    nokia were giving away bar mounts for this at one of their triathlons. Maybe its available on their site ?

I use mine in my back pocket - you dont need the slider open for it to work.
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • glamrox
    glamrox Posts: 31
    I use one of these http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/TriBag_raincover which is handy for keeping my n95, keys and random stuff in.