big or small

snig
snig Posts: 428
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
is it better to error on the side of big is better whenpicking what size of bike to get?

I

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    It would serve you better to take the time to find a bike shop or three that has your bike in stock so you can try it for size. The experts will be along shortly with lots of advice :)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I'm 6ft with a 33 inside leg and ride an XL or a 55-56cm if that helps
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    If you really have to have it, and you can't try one, then slightly too small is better than slightly too large. Maybe a different make/model might suit you better
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I think this sizing chart will help:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/SizingGuides.asp#SportsHybrid

I think a Large is your best bet. If it's a shade too small, try a slightly longer stem (1cm or so).

Also check the Cannondale website.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    rally200 wrote:
    If you really have to have it, and you can't try one, then slightly too small is better than slightly too large. Maybe a different make/model might suit you better

Agreed. My current ride is supposed to be a bit too small for me, but i've tried a bit bigger and i feel too stretchted out.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • snig
    rally200 wrote:

why do you say a differant model may suit me better? is the bad boy and "bad" bike?
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    snig wrote:
    is it better to error on the side of big is better whenpicking what size of bike to get?

I'm buying a cannondale bad boy ss online so cant try,their web site does not have any help apart from saying it is imprtant to get it right and try before you buy(which sounds like good advice but I'm not able too) and it only seems to list the sizes as s m l x but not what sizes they are?
    I;m just about 6^ and in side leg 32 and on a few other sites I've checkon this seems to be dead in the middle of L or XL so not sure which way to go as my last bike the handle bars wouldnt adjust so I need to get it right this time. cheers for any help

The inside leg measurement was a whole lot more important when bikes had horizontal top tubes. Modern bikes are almost always built with a sloping top tube that relegates the old seat tube measurement a good deal less important, hence they use Small Medium and Large rather then quoting semi-meaningless numbers.
    The catch is every bike is different, depending on the rest of it's geometry. You might find you need a Large on one model and an XL on another, yet a Medium on a third. The best way to see what size you need to is sit on one and see.

If you have to only use one measurement, then the virtual top tube length (not the real one either) is the one you should go with. You can always raise or lower the saddle to suit your legs (within reason) since there is no top tube sitting there to straddle. Where the handlebars are in relation to the pedals is less flexible.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Go slightly smaller then ideal rather then too big a frame. Six one and ride a 56cm frame comfortably
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Go get properly measured. I didn't realise how many of the little aches and pains I used to get were from bikes that were not right, never regretted it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My bike is a tiny bit big for me and I've done all I can to make the riding position smaller, as it were. But I wish I had a smaller frame (I have a 58cm, a 57cm would be about right or even a 56 - I'm 6' with 34" inside leg).
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I reckon there's more you can do to make a bike a bit bigger than there is to make it a bit smaller.
  • snig
    cheers all ,anyone got the sizes for the bad boys,all I can find is s m L XL .