Hill Climbs a day ride from London???????

ozbikeman
ozbikeman Posts: 13
Hi Cycle Bloggers,

Being new to this area I don't know where any good climbs are can anyone help me?

I live in West London and being a very keen climber looking for the biggest and steepest hills I can find within a days ride from London.

Cheers OzB :):)

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    a good bet would the the area between High Wycombe, Stokenchurch and Henley on Thames. Quarry Wood Road/Winter Hill in Marlow is always good for a laugh....although not particularly long..

Hop on the train to Henley and go from there if you don't fancy the ride out & back....
  • afelstead
    afelstead Posts: 21
    Depends where in West London you live. South of Shepherds Bush I'd go out to the Surrey Hills: Box Hill, Ranmore, Leith Hill etc. North of that, nearer Wembley and Harrow, you're better going towards Buckinghamshire.

If you're going to Surrey, take the A307 road through Esher towards Cobham (probably the best route out). Once at Cobham you can get on the minor roads and it's a lot better.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    south there is winterfold 21% and whitedown 19% and then a few on the hell of ashdown most are short and steepish than long and steepish.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    ozbikeman wrote:
    Hi Cycle Bloggers,

Being new to this area I don't know where any good climbs are can anyone help me?

I live in West London and being a very keen climber looking for the biggest and steepest hills I can find within a days ride from London.

Cheers OzB :):)

Being Oz, I'm guessing you're somewhere between Acton and Putney.

Head down to Surrey. Between Dorking and Guildford there's a whole load of climbs. Mostly not much longer than a mile, but there are plenty of steep ones (even > 20%).

Legs of Steel route as a starter:
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Su ... Long-Route
    Click on Show->Elevation Profile to see the climbs.
    exercise.png
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    For proper hills you'll need to move up north. Or worse still, Wales.

As mentioned, the Surrey Hills are your best bet if your south of the river, but whenever I go there I get the impression I'm spending a day riding past rich peoples front gardens.

The Chiltern Hills are better if your in West London. The scarp slope offer a few longish and steep options (Kingston Hill up to Stokenchurch is my own private nightmare) but there are shorter, more brutal climbs throughout the area. There's a nice cluster in the Hambleden Valley north of Henley and Marlow.

My gold standard is Juniper Lane in High Wycombe - I can't get up that even pushing the bloody bike :?
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    'As mentioned, the Surrey Hills are your best bet if your south of the river, but whenever I go there I get the impression I'm spending a day riding past rich peoples front gardens.'

Come a bit further south Gav, and pop in for a cuppa...... :wink:
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Or worse still, Wales.

Gavin, I'm disappointed in you.. ;)