What forks on your On-One 456???

mr-frosty
mr-frosty Posts: 44
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I am currently running some Marzocchi All mountain 1s 2005 150mm on my 456 and they are pretty wicked. Downhill they are awesome, and uphill on all but the steepest of climbs i can climb like a mountain goat, too steep and they have to be dropped using the ETA. This is all not a problem, but i feel they are just slightly too tall.

With this i am thinking of replacing them. What is everyone else running on there 456s'?? I am thinking of Revelation 426 140mm either dual air or air u-turn. Dual air for the lighter fork or would i prefer the u-turns so i can wind them down?? Same goes for Fox Vanillas or Talas 140mm. Reading reviews the vanillas are the fix and forget option but also very smooth, but would i regret not being able to drop them??

Does anyone have 140mm non-adjustable travel forks on their 456? Do you regret not having adjustable travel? Does your bike still ride fine uphill with out lifting??

Cheers guys

Rob

Comments

• im using a rockshox tora u-turn on my inbred...fits my ride whether im in the mood for leisure or aggressive riding...and thats on road or trails. 8)
    Ride well
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    On my inbred I have....

Nukeproof carbon rigids, cause I'm hard! Lol.

The U-turn pikes would be a wise choice. Smooth, reliable, not overly heavy!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    U-Turn Revs with a Maxle would be my choice. Light, stiff, adjustable and can be had with a hefty discount.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    ^^^ u-turn air revs would be the obvious choice. I've got pikes on mine, i'd like some custom fox talas forks with 100 125 140 if that's even possible!
  • mr-frosty
    Cheers guys, so judging by all your replies, you've all got u-turn forks, do you find that you use the adjustable travel or mainly leave them on full travel??

I've been running my AM 150mm's on full travel and have only knocked them down very occasionally, and on those occasions its got far to steep to ride. I'm basically talking myself into a set of Vanillas, because the overall height of them will be lower than my AMs, and according to all the reviews of them they are loved by everyone, very plush, fairly stiff, pretty light just over 4lbs and fit and forget.

Does anyone think my thoughts of the Vanilla are justified or would i be making a huge mistake???
  • BlackSpur
    I think Floats would be the better Fox option - presumably next to no difference in "plushness" but lighter weight and greater tuneability.

For a bike like the 456, u turn makes sense. It is a versatile frame, so an adjustable fork to have the best of a greater variety of situations is a good idea IMO. set to 100mm for steep climbs/road riding, anout 120 for general riding and 140 to let rip on the downs,
  • mr-frosty
    I agree adjustable forks are more versatile, but still wondering if i really need them??

The Floats are nice and light, but just doing a google on them and there appears to be a lot of people not liking their flex!! With that in mind i would rather go with the Vanillas - stiffer, not too much heavier, and much cheaper on the wallet!!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    The U-turn pikes would be a wise choice. Smooth, reliable, not overly heavy!

Yeah, that'd be my choice :)
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Not a 456, but I run 120mm Maverick SC32s and use the 80ishmm setting for climbing quite a lot, wouldn't be without it...

Next frame's likely to be an Mmmbop so I thought you mightn't mind my two penneth! :lol:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • BlackSpur
    mr-frosty wrote:
    I agree adjustable forks are more versatile, but still wondering if i really need them??

The Floats are nice and light, but just doing a google on them and there appears to be a lot of people not liking their flex!! With that in mind i would rather go with the Vanillas - stiffer, not too much heavier, and much cheaper on the wallet!!

Vans are no stiffer :wink: both forks use the same chassis. If you want to improve stiffness you'll need to go for one of the new bolt thru axle designs - 15mm QR for Fox or 20mm Maxle for RS.
  • mr-frosty
    Hmmm... I've been checking out the 140mm Revs with Maxle and there not bad at all. I think i'll have to do a little more research and get my LBS to get me a price!!!

Cheers for all the help guys!!