dawes sportif

stratcat
stratcat Posts: 160
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Anyone got one of these?
http://www.dawescycles.com/p-151-sportif-comp.aspx

any thoughts? things to consider?

I quite fancy the comp but there doesn't seem to be much "on the shop floor" to try.
I'm waiting on a couple of shops to reply to emails to see if they have any stock.

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Maybe an OK tourer, but "SPORTIF"? LMAO :D
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    PianoMan wrote:
    Maybe an OK tourer, but "SPORTIF"? LMAO :D

Aren't sportives basically Audax without mudguards? I don't see why this wouldn't work fine. You might not be the quickest round though!
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    No, I'm not the quickest round. Ever.

The point across is, that most "sportive" bikes are made from anything other than Reynolds steel. I DO like the look of Reynolds steel bikes, true, but they should really be badged as "Audax/Tour" bikes. Of course, you might enjoy them, so in that case it'll be right up your street.

On sportives the young bucks start bombing it from the "off" like it's a race. Audaxes are ridden by sane people like myself who know that consistent pace is the name of the game. I'll hopefully do my first 200k event this September.
  • stratcat
    I am really looking at it as a sporty tourer rather than a out and out racer.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    at over £800 it is also stupidly expensive - especially when you consider that other similarly specced bikes can be had for about £300 less.....

Take a look at the Ridgeback Horizon - aluminium frame, carbon fork, SKS guards and Sora group for around £550....
  • stratcat
    softlad wrote:
    at over £800 it is also stupidly expensive - especially when you consider that other similarly specced bikes can be had for about £300 less.....

Take a look at the Ridgeback Horizon - aluminium frame, carbon fork, SKS guards and Sora group for around £550....

I'm assuming the extra cost comes from the steel frame??

I am under the impression that steel is king for tourers? no?

There doesn't seem to be much about with a steel frame that comes in under £1000
  • softlad
    Reynolds 520 is nothing much more than basic 4130 cromo tubing, and there's no rule that says tourers should be made of steel...

The Ridgeback will do the job just as well, and give you better value for a lot less. I have one for light touring and winter training and it's a great bike.

Dawes' pricing seems a bit messed up anyway - they also have a basic Aluminium-framed road bike with Tiagra for over £1200, when something like the similarly-equipped Carrera Vanquish can be had for around £450...or you can pay your £1200 and have maybe a carbon Fuji CCR2 with 105 & Ultegra instead....like I say - their pricing is bizarre and I can only assume they are selling bikes to people who aren't doing their research....
  • stratcat
    softlad wrote:
    their pricing is bizarre and I can only assume they are selling bikes to people who aren't doing their research....

or people like me that haven't a clue :oops:

thanks for the input :)
  • softlad
    stratcat wrote:

sorry, I didn't mean it to come across like that.. ;)

It's just the the bikes seem like such outstandingly poor value, compared to most others...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Sportif is bad value in my opinion, I wouldn't buy a Sora equipped bike for more than £550, and the frame is not that special. A much better deal is the DAWES Audax Supreme, £740 from Spa Cycles - 631 Reynolds and 105 groupset (though they only have 57cm left). I have an older Dawes Audax, 1997, Reynolds 531, triple chainset. It is a joy to ride, so comfy and not sluggish, however the touring load it can take is limited, if I load it up too much the rear triangle flexes too much.

I am not entirely sure if you want a sportive bike, and audax bike or a tourer, though of course there is some crossover.

If I was spending £800+ on a steel bike in these categories I would buy a Condor Fratello (audax) or Condor Heritage (tourer).

Cheaper steel options, Claude Butler Dalesman (tourer) Reynolds 631, Tiagra, £699. Or perhaps the real bargain, a JamisAurora Elite, Shimano 105, Reynolds 631, only £699 from buyabikedirect.

For an almost direct equivalent to the DAwes Sportif, there is the Ridgeback Voyage, Reynolds 520 and Sora, £599!

The Ridgeback Horizon is a similar price, has an Alu frame and carbon fork (instead of cromo on the Voyage) and has lower gearing.

The Horizon may be a fraction lighter and maybe a bit quicker, the Voyage may be marginally more comfortable, though this is just speculation.

Bottom line, I am agreeing, that Dawes is very bad value.
  • stratcat
    softlad wrote:
    stratcat wrote:

sorry, I didn't mean it to come across like that.. ;)

It's just the the bikes seem like such outstandingly poor value, compared to most others...

I wasn't taking offense, I could see where you were coming from :D
    I am not entirely sure if you want a sportive bike, and audax bike or a tourer, though of course there is some crossover.

That is, kind of, my problem. It seems there's a heck of a lot of choice out there, some of it costing serious money :shock:
    I really want a road bike that would double up as a tourer. Any other suggestions around the £800 mark?
    Bottom line, I am agreeing, that Dawes is very bad value.

This does seem to be the consensus!

Thanks for the advice
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Ah, road bike / tourer.

Well probably any of those I listed would do, but the stand-out bikes in my view are the Condors (Fratello = Audax, Heritage=Tourer). The Audax version has a lighter duty rear triangle and carbon forks, the tourer version has a sturdier rear triangle and steel forks with front pannier mounts. The former would be fine for light touring, but if you intend to do camping/touring you will benefit from the proper tourer. Cycling Plus reviewed the Heritage last year and gave it 9/10, they said it was quite racy for a tourer. Unfortunately, these bikes cost upwards of £850 depending on spec, but if you get one that suits, it could be a bike you keep for life.

On another note, my g/f has a Trek 1.2 triple 2008 (entry level alu road bike £500ish). It has rack mounts and mudguard clearance, but is like a regular road bike. However we toured last year and she carried a 15kg load in two panniers and had a bar bag, and I was amazed at how stable it was as a light tourer. The position is fairly upright so it ticks the sportive / audax boxes too. She is comfy on long rides, the main criticism was the Sora shifters (I fitted some secondhand Ultegra) and the ride is harsher than my steel and carbon bikes, road ripples are transmitted a fair amount. I know this is controversial, but in my experience Alu does seem to transmit road buzz more than steel (the metallurgists may well come on and dispute this).

If more fussed about touring potential and long ride comfort than absolute performance I would go for one of the Tiagra or 105 equipped steel bikes at £699 above (it is really worth going up from Sora IMHO), or if you want a bike to cherish, then the Condors.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    A lot of prices just went up, although I do think that the new Dawes models are a bit pricey. In fact, you could probably stretch to a British made frame - Jackson and Goff models start at 3-400 pounds. Here's an example:
    http://customframebuilding.ellisbriggsc ... _bikes.php
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    At your price point I would recommend the Ribble Audax/Winter Trainer. For £640 you get a full Campag Veloce 10 speed groupset and Mavic Askium wheels as well as mudgaurds fitted and rack mounts. Being aluminium(7005) and having a carbon fork its going to be far lighter than the Dawes and more versitile.

Have a look here:http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/SpecialEditionBikes.asp