Silly Commuter TDF Watching Society- now with posters' links

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Last year's Tour was one of 3 events* which got me back on the bike and commuting.

Looking forward to this years tour, though haven't a clue who most of the riders are, in fact the last tour I watched in full was in the Indurain era?

Will you be watching this year?

20 Greatest Tour moments on ITV 4 now (7pm) and +1 at 8pm, just to get you started

EDIT to include posters' links and you tube bits

Cycling Fans Link http://www.cyclingfans.com/

Austrailian Coverage http://tdf.sbs.com.au/tdf2009/web/flash/index.html

Tour Website http://www.letour.fr/us/homepage_courseTDF.html

You tube - Speed Wobble on Descent http://www.letour.fr/2009

You tube - Stephen Roche http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQojh-wqL04
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Gah, I feel like I've been scalped before i even start.
    One of my best mates is getting married on the day of the Ventoux stage, I mean how inconsiderate is that?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I've never watched the tdf... I never really watch sports. Find it rather dull. But then I am a burd.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Should be in interesting 3 weeks. Will Astana actually ride as a team or will they implode in a vicious mess before the get out of Spain, and will it all be enough to stop Contador?
    Just how many stages will Cav win, and will Columbia be mopping up the sprint points he doesn't get to ensure he stays in green? Is it now accepted he will have little trouble actually making it to Paris? Andy Schleck, 12 months ago he was the darling of the cycling world, and apparently a real threat for this years tour....where is he now? Has he been sandbagging or is he out of it now?
    Just how many times will Kelly say "certainly"?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'll be there. I've been watching this since the 70s when World Of Sport used to do a round up on Saturday lunchtimes instead of On The Ball, and I used to watch these blokes on mad bikes doing something quite extraordinary. All on lettuce leaves and fizzy water too... :)

And then ITV & C4 doing the coverage over the last few years - Phil L really does have the voice to do this sort of thing - anyone seen his "who's this coming out of the mist?" when Roche appeared from nowhere to close an apparently almighty gap to effectively win the tour? Ligget caught the moment.

TdF is the only thing I've ever done on Youtube, last year. 3 riders haring down a wet mountain and the 3rd of the 3 has a bit of a wobble under braking into a sequence of bends, and loses his nerve a bit. The other two are away like scalded rabbits - the motorbike with the camera clearly gets the order to ignore the dropped rider and get onto the two leaders and we're treated to a mad situation of a motorbike trying to catch two cyclists and failing for a good minute or so [of edited tv]. Here it is.

What else? The scenery - majestic. Any mountain stage is the biz - they all put Poundon Hill into perspective, if not the hills out of Chapel en le Frith towards Glossop. They is big man..

TdF - awesome. Three weeks of top sport on tap. Lovely. I'll be there.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I use to watch the TDF at my Grans when she lived in Brixton... I was younger than 12 at the time. Back then I didn't have a clue what was going on or who was in the lead, I just liked watching the cool roadies on the awesome bikes going fast. I wanted to be them :oops:

This year I've asked questions, brushed up on the rules, read the preview and the 'ones to watch' articles and am ready to fully engross myself in the Tour de France.. albeit I only have ITV4, I need to secure Eurosport....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This is July's TV viewage sorted out. :)

Looking forward to seeing how Gesink get on in the mountains, and I think the sprints will be good now Boonen's back (Cav's former teammate, Ciolek, is also a bit handy).

Contador for GC. Sastre doesn't have as strong a team as last year. Would love to see Schleck put the hammer down in the mountains - could make for interesting duels with Contador. Menchov has little chance - he will need others to lose it to podium, let alone win.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Never really watched the TDF before, only been cycling for a year so... Gonna try to catch what i can this year (as i don't have Eurosport), and going to be heading over to watch the Mont Ventoux stage as my folks live a couple of hours drive away.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    For those without Eurosport I suggest watching the Australian Live coverage here:http://tdf.sbs.com.au/tdf2009/web/flash/index.html
    Phil Liggett on the commentary :D
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've never watched the tdf... I never really watch sports. Find it rather dull. But then I am a burd.

OMG ...... not a proper cyclist then....burd or not.....
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866

Being a burd isn't an excuse. I took time off last year to watch the Tour and it was great. pity I couldn't do the same this year.

Anyway put it this way...fit blokes in lycra :wink:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

could try http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8114538.stm
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    anyone seen his "who's this coming out of the mist?" when Roche appeared from nowhere to close an apparently almighty gap to effectively win the tour? Ligget caught the moment.

Oh, I remember watching that when it happened (well, on the C4 6:30 highlights programme). It was brilliant.

"...and just who is that rider coming up behind, because that looks like Roche... That looks like Stephen Roche! It's Stephen Roche who's come over the line! He almost caught Pedro Delgado, I don't believe it... What a finish by Stephen Roche..."

One of my all-time favourite moments in any sport, let alone cycling, let alone le Tour. Relive it on YouTube (from 1:50 or so).

No mist though, so maybe I've got the wrong moment entirely... /o\
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • tailwindhome

My wife, also a burd, has no interest in sport, televised or other.

She does watch the TDF, the Masters Golf from Augusta and Italian Football (especially Inter)

She says its for the scenery. :shock:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Agent57 wrote:
    anyone seen his "who's this coming out of the mist?" when Roche appeared from nowhere to close an apparently almighty gap to effectively win the tour? Ligget caught the moment.

Oh, I remember watching that when it happened (well, on the C4 6:30 highlights programme). It was brilliant.

<snip.

No mist though, so maybe I've got the wrong moment entirely... /o\

Funny how the memory plays tricks, I also remember mist.

Looking at the start list for this years tour I see his son Nicholas listed, does anyone know if he is any good?

Also did Garmin not have an Irishman on their team?
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    love it

have taken time off to watch the first week and mountain stages 7,8 and 9

http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE/us ... cours.html
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Watched it since LeMond / Hinault days, lost faith a bit after Festina. Naively swallowed the Lance phenomenon and hate the fact that he's back and still ambivalent about doping.....but love the Tdf all the same.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've been to Paris 3 times, Le Harve and Portsmouth just the once. Fell asleep in Le Harve and got woke up by the noise of the TV helisopter and seemingly missed the bikes :oops: but the consolation to that was watching the group of Coke girls stroll past on the seafront as I had some food later.

Remember back to the days of C4 18:30 highlights and recording the finishes in the C4 TdF guide book that cost near £5, much more than my pocket money. In all got to be close to 20 yrs now.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    If you got a bf, would you be able to feign interest?

"Who won the senior pro celeb golf, dear? Jimmy Tarbuck? Really, that's a turn up!"
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Looking at the start list for this years tour I see his son Nicholas listed, does anyone know if he is any good?

Nicholas is pretty handy, yes. He's just won the Irish National Championships, and came 13th in last years Vuelta. I don't think he's out to repeat that in the Tour but look for him to try and grab a stage in a breakaway if he can.

Garmin's Irish rider is Roche's cousin, Dan Martin, who was last years Irish National Champion, who came second to Valverde in the recent Volta a Catalunya, even though Valverde had already been banned in Italy. He pulled out of the Tour on Thursday/Friday due to tendenitis, so should be looking to the Vuelta later in the year now instead.

Cervelo didn't select Philip Deignan for the Tour.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    kinesin wrote:
    For those without Eurosport I suggest watching the Australian Live coverage here:http://tdf.sbs.com.au/tdf2009/web/flash/index.html

cant see that :( doesn't seem to work in the UK as its based in australia so teh server has a location ban ggrrrr
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    gert_lush wrote:
    kinesin wrote:

cant see that :( doesn't seem to work in the UK as its based in australia so teh server has a location ban ggrrrr
    Live streams get linked from here: www.cyclingfans.com
    My work productivity dips inexplicably in july (and in may for that matter) ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    My work productivity dips inexplicably in july (and in may for that matter) ;)

:lol: Yup! Were it not for the fact that I had two weeks off last July, I'd have done the square root of feck all last year.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    Great win for Cav today! Probably the first of many this year.

Can't see him winning the Green Jersey this year, my impression has always been that the Green Jersey is won by sprinters who are past their peak. Cav certainly doesnt fit this category.

I can't see him busting a gut to pick up points in sprints for the lower places on stages won by breakaways.

His ultimate aim, for this year at least must be the final stage on the Champs Elysees

My prediction 4 wins including the Final Stage and the slowest time possible up Ventoux.
  • tailwindhome
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Nicholas is pretty handy, yes.

<snip>

8th today, you weren't far wrong
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Brummie boy Dan Martin, 2008 Irish national champ is Nicolas's cousin (IIRC his Mum is Stephen's sister). He has been ruled out of the TdF due to injury, as explained here.

CyclingFans is the place to look for live streams. I tried that once during the Giro in May but it was too risky at work. Have finally replaced the ageing, crap Freeview set-top box with a PVR so can record Tuesday's evening coverage on ITV4 while I'm out marshalling at the local TT.

I started watching when C4 was first on, 1984 I think, the year Robert Millar won the polka-dot jersey. Sir Bob. Had a few years with no TV but been glued to it every evening for 3 weeks in July both before and since.

I keep an eye on the comic's tweets. Quite a few pro riders (including Wegelius and now Wiggins) and teams (Cervélo, Slippy) tweeting but it can get a bit tedious. I don't do 'my daily diary' stuff.

For the most in-depth coverage, discussion and dissection you cannot possibly beat the dedicated fans at www.podiumcafe.com
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I had been watching the TdF on and off for years, but about 4 years ago my now ex partner got me into the Tour when he was watching it on Eurosport.

Watched it ever since, even took three weeks off last year to watch the whole lot. have no such luxury thins year, although tomorrow I will watch the highlights via the internet while on late shift , no sound, but heck who needs that.

The Commander has however taken three weeks off to watch the Tour and get out on his own bike in the mornings. Alright for some, I need a job that pays as much as his! :o
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • cjcp
    Am enjoying the Dan Lloyd co-commentary on Eurosport.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    gert_lush wrote:
    kinesin wrote:

It worked for Stage 1, but now is geo-locked :(
    Anyone got an Austrialian Proxy that allows streaming?