cafe stop Edinburgh to Melrose

Diogenes
Diogenes Posts: 1,628
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Our group of middle aged weekend warriors are having our annual boys weekend away at the end of June. We are getting the train to Edinburgh and following the Coast and Castles route to Newcastle then winding our way home to North Yorkshire. The first leg is a half day day job following the route across the Morfoot Hills to Innerleithen and on to Melrose, does anyone know of a decent cafe on this route, there is little shown on the Sustrans map in the way of watering holes. The rest of the route seems to have something at various 30 to 40 mile intervals it is just this first bit I am trying to find a natural stop off place for munchies.

D :D

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Traquair Castle? By Innerleithen. Worth a visit, has a cafe. Also, they sell fantastic home-made beer!

Not sure if your route takes in St Mary's Loch, but you would get a warm welcome at Tibble Sheils Inn. My Dad had his first underage pint there in 1935. The local polisman was in the other bar having a half!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I'd second Traquair House - impressive house and a nice wee cafe (if you say you're just going to the cafe you shouldn't need to pay an entry fee for the house), cycle friendly and friendly staff - you can sit out the back in the gardens with your bikes if you want to keep an eye on them.

Just watch out for the peacocks - they'll have your cake if you leave it unattended for a second (in fact, they've been known to even take attended biscuits, so be warned!).

http://www.traquair.co.uk/
  • Diogenes
    Thanks guys, we'll give Traquir House a go. Not intending to take in St Mary's Loch this visit but we'll see how the time goes. Last time I was there there was a cafe near the statue of James Hogg, is it still open?

• ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    There was a cafe in Innerleithen last summer but it was closed over the winter, not sure if it has reopened this summer, but the hotel/pub on the corner (sorry can't remember name) does food and teas etc.
  • Diogenes
    Philip S wrote:
    I'd second Traquair House - impressive house and a nice wee cafe (if you say you're just going to the cafe you shouldn't need to pay an entry fee for the house), cycle friendly and friendly staff - you can sit out the back in the gardens with your bikes if you want to keep an eye on them.

Just watch out for the peacocks - they'll have your cake if you leave it unattended for a second (in fact, they've been known to even take attended biscuits, so be warned!).

http://www.traquair.co.uk/

Thanks for the recommendation, it was excellent. Sat out back of cafe and enjoyed nice grub washed down with a bottle of their own ale. Very nice place and friendly staff.

• Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    8) :D