Giant Talon Zero opinions?

Cleggsta
Cleggsta Posts: 3
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
First off, Im a newb on here, so Hi :-) Im Scott, Im from notts :)

I just wanted to know if anyone had bought this years Giant Talon Zero bike? I wanted to find out what anyone who owns it thinks of it, as Ive just ordered one from my local bike shop. The guy in the shop was really helpful, and said if he was choosing something under £1000, this is the one he would go for.

I like the look of it a lot more than a similar priced Specialized bike in the shop, but features wise it compares really well with the Specialized and is very similar. I just really liked the design of the frame and the colour it came in (white) over that of the Spesh model (black).

Im going to be using it mainly on-road, with some trail riding and woods use at weekends :-)
If anyone else has this bike too, please let me know what you think of it, and if you have any regrets choosing this bike. Cheers :)
Scott.
26037_1_Zoom.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think it is a bit much at 850 quid, but a lot of 2009 bikes are. But even by 09 standards the spec is somewhat lacking. The Boardmen, certain Rockhoppers, Focus and Decathlons murder it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hmm, i would be tempted to take sonics advice on this one, its not bad spec wise but there is more to be had for your money.

sorry
  • Cleggsta
    Cleggsta Posts: 3
    No thats ok :-)
    I dont really know so much about bikes, Im relatively new to wanting a half decent bike.

Im getting the bike via the national cycle to work scheme, where you commit to buy the cycle via a local bike shop and through your employer, and you end up getting the bike discounted by 40% to 50%, so in the end I will only actually pay £550 for the bike through the scheme. When I look at it like that, I dont think its bad at all, but I take into account there are better bikes for the money, and I think I will look again at the ones suggested by Sonic. Thanks :-)
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    If you're using it mostly on road then a very short, trail-centre specific bike probably isn't going to be ideal!

Try looking for something light and fairly long, like the aforementioned Boardman. That's if you can find one of course; seems to be a lot of frustrated people on here, have a search.

Sorry to be negative but what the guy in the shop likes doesn't necessarily translate to the type of riding you intend to do :(

The Boardman will be ace in the woods too - just incase I wrongly implied it's a bit of a 'commuter'...!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world