New brakes issue

sportbilly1976
sportbilly1976 Posts: 524
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Hi,

Ok - to pre-empt the shouts of derision, it was my first attempt at changing the brakes, and so there is the high possibility that I have not done something basic correctly.

I bought some new brake pads at the weekend and fitted them - the only issue was that when I had the new pads on and fitted I couldnt get the wheel back on...so I tried to fit them them with the wheel on but it was a very tight squeeze to get the second pad fitted...

now I have the situation where the new pads are constantly rubbing slightly agianst both wheels... I even have the brake release open but they still rub - making for a very tiring ride :shock:

Have I bought the wrong thickness pads or is there some adjustment i have forgotten?

btw they were basic shimano pads from Evans - softer (thicker maybe?) ones but I would rather pay £10 for brakes than £100+ for rims!

tia

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    There should be a screw adjustment avaialable just above the brake release lever on each brake caliper. Screw it clockwise and it should release a bit more cable & move the pads away from the rims. 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    Also check any barrel adjusters on the brake cable are fully screwed in.
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    Make sure also that the wheel is correctly centered in the fork or frame by opening and re closing the qr while the bike is on the ground (rather than in a workstand)
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • Many thanks guys,

I loosened the screw adjustment to release a bit more cable and this seemed to have done the trick :D

...and also the fact that I carry a multi-tool with me so I can tighten them further should there be too much pressure required on the brakes levers.....

slowly learning bits to do.. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi,

Ok - to pre-empt the shouts of derision, it was my first attempt at changing the brakes, and so there is the high possibility that I have not done something basic correctly.

I bought some new brake pads at the weekend and fitted them - the only issue was that when I had the new pads on and fitted I couldnt get the wheel back on...so I tried to fit them them with the wheel on but it was a very tight squeeze to get the second pad fitted...

now I have the situation where the new pads are constantly rubbing slightly agianst both wheels... I even have the brake release open but they still rub - making for a very tiring ride :shock:

Have I bought the wrong thickness pads or is there some adjustment i have forgotten?

btw they were basic shimano pads from Evans - softer (thicker maybe?) ones but I would rather pay £10 for brakes than £100+ for rims!

tia

The size of your thighs, I wouldn't have thought the brakes being fully on would make much difference!
  • lol - I did manage to get up the slope next to stockport train station last week with them rubbing...good exercise!!

count me in btw for your "return" ride.

Have decided to go for full-on racing next year...so got 7-8 months of training ahead.. :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Heh heh. You'll walk it after 8 months hard graft. I'm hoping to do some too next year. (It was my plan this year but hey-ho. Need to sort a date for my 'return ride'... Probably be September.
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    lol - I did manage to get up the slope next to stockport train station last week with them rubbing...good exercise!!

count me in btw for your "return" ride.

Have decided to go for full-on racing next year...so got 7-8 months of training ahead.. :?

You have my mobile number to call if you need help Jason, any time, no problem at all
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh. You'll walk it after 8 months hard graft. I'm hoping to do some too next year. (It was my plan this year but hey-ho. Need to sort a date for my 'return ride'... Probably be September.

I like the idea of racing, the training could be fun too considering I'll have more time for it!

Will the September ride be an epic considering you are twice as fit now as you were before the fall?!!