Junping gears on new bike-advice?

Mothyman
Mothyman Posts: 655
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
hi, beginner here
my new bike is great - but when chain is on small cog at front and 3rd largest at back it keeps jumping (rattles when on 4th largest).
? causes and solutions?

I can take it for a service soon but is it something simple for me to adjust?

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    if it ws ok to start off, and then got progressively worse, it's probably just cable stretch. New gear cables tend to stretch. try screwing out the adjuster a little to take up the slack - just do a quarter turn at a time
  • Ditto. Screw adjuster out (anti-clockwise when viewed from rear) 1/4 turn at a time until happy.

I have had the same trouble and it always seems to be 3rd/4th gear; hair trigger adjustment required. I can get it "singing" in the garage then go out and it is just the same.

I have heard this cable stretch thing from my LBS, and understand it....however, surely it is not beyond Shimano et al to make a non-stretch cable in this day and age.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117

I have heard this cable stretch thing from my LBS, and understand it....however, surely it is not beyond Shimano et al to make a non-stretch cable in this day and age.

Eh not really.............it's a characteristic of steel. Just a guitar strings a tuned daily

They or you can pre-stretch the cables before you use them.
  • pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    Ask you lbs to change the steel cabling for twine. It weighs less too
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Many cables are sold as pre-stretched, Transfil, for example.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    ok thanks fellas
    will take it for service soon and feedback what worked
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    cables stretch - motorbikes, old cars, guitar strings, suspension bridges. but they settle down pretty quickly